26. Birthday Surprise

Inaya's POV

After the wedding functions ended we got busy with assignments and tests. As our finals are very near, everyone's been so busy with studies and all. The pressure of exams is just too much.

Our first year is almost ending. I can't believe that it's almost an year of me being here.

Getting a scholarship in London was my main goal and dream ever since i decided what i've wanted to be. And my happiness was beyond when i got it.

At first i didn't expected myself to get this attached to this place, but now it feels just like a second home to me.

And i definitely didn't expect to get such good friends. I was scared that because of my shy nature, i would be all alone. But my friends proved it wrong. And how much i love them.

Andddd in all this i never in a million years expected or thought of meeting a guy like rayan. Before i met him, i thought that every men were same and not worth it. I was happy with my fictional men alot. But then he came into the picture. He is literally everything a girl could dream of. He's the epitome of fictional men. I was never interested in dating, and most importantly love. But still, life is so unexpected. You never know what could happen whenever.

I was reading my book as i was pent up with all the studying, but my mind was diverted with thoughts of certain someone. Whenever i think about our interactions, my heart fills with so much affection and warmth and a blush automatically forms on my cheeks.

My bubble of thoughts broke when my phone ringed. I checked the caller id and smiled when i saw it was a video call from ami. It's been so long since i've talked with her as i was busy with studies and all.

"Aslamalaikum ami" i greeted her with a huge smile.

"Walaikumaslam beta, how are you?" she asked with a smile of her own.

"I'm great! What about you and nano?" i asked and looked behind her to see if nano was present too.

"We're also good, and she slept early today" ami answered as i nodded.

We talked for a bit, i told her about my routine, exams and other things.

"Beta.. your birthday is just the day after tomorrow" ami said slowly causing my smile to vanish.

"I know.." i avoided her eyes and wanting to change the topic.

"Beta you need to forget and move on" ami's voice showed concern for me.

"Ami please i don't want to talk about it" i mustered up a little smile. She sighed and gladly let go of this topic.

After talking with her, i ended the call and sighed as my mind replayed the memories of years ago.

Usually everyone feels happy and excited about their birthdays, but not me. Because this day is also the day abu left from this world.

It was my sixth birthday and ami organised a party for me at home. Abu had to stay at office for some more hours and was late. But i being stubborn kept calling and pestering him to come back early. I even threatened to never talk to him if he doesn't come in time. That's why he left from office as soon as he completed his work and was in a rush while coming back. And that's when he got into an accident. It was an serious accident causing him to get severe injuries and he couldn't survive.

Ami broke down completely when she got the call from hospital.

The day which was supposed to be filled with good memories turned out to be the worst nightmare. I felt myself responsible for his death. Even when ami and nano consoled me not to blame myself and i tried to get over it for years, i still deep inside my heart feel like it was all my fault.