Chapter 2. Death March

Eleanor didn't let go of Renna's hand when the priest laid flower crowns on their heads. It always had amazed Eleanor how much they pretended their sacrifice was a pretty thing. She wanted to pull the flower crown off her head and throw it at the man, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. Her body felt too heavy and in between the rapid thoughts that flooded her brain, there was still a small part that cared about how these people would see her.

The priest walked away, to her gate. Ending her only real change to actually hit him. He grabbed the golden key from his necklace and walked up to the gate, which he quickly unlocked. The metal fence was overgrown with rose bushes. The priest had to push against the gate a few times before the plants let go and there was a way further into the wetlands.

'Solistes deer, go your way. The goddess will guide you to the ever living lands.'

Eleanor pressed her lips together. She was pretty sure an imminent death was more likely. What came after she didn't know, but she doubted it would be anything good. The priest knew that too, still he tried to convince them it would be okay.

She felt a small push against her back, as someone urged her to walk forward. As she stepped closer towards the wilderness a wave of nausea washed over her. For a moment she thought her legs would give out under her, but Renna's hand held her up straight. Slowly they walked through the fence, their hearts beating loudly.

Eleanor walked slightly in front, pulling Renna with her. When she glanced back she noticed she hadn't stopped crying. Behind them she saw the priest closing the gate, while a song broke the deafening silence.

'Soliste bringer of souls, take our sacrifice,' their people sang.

'I-I don't want to,' Renna cried softly.

'We have to,' Eleanor said with a trembling voice. 'You know what happens when we don't.'

Renna nodded softly. They both had lived enough moons to see what happens when the people who were sacrificed escaped. Stories about the collapsed factory and the monsters let loose on their city until the escapee was found still lingered in their streets. Soliste always got what she wanted.

'I know it's our duty, b-but I can't. My mom is ill.'

'My family will look after her,' Eleanor promised, although she didn't know if that would happen. It didn't matter anyway. Renna would never find out about her lie and Eleanor would be dead before she had a chance to face the consequences of those words. 'Don't worry about home, soon none of that matters anymore.'

'Do you think it will go quickly?'

'Yes.' Again a lie, but this one Eleanor desperately wanted to believe. Another wave of nausea hit her. She knew better. She had seen people get trapped under machines, or be slowly hollowed out by terrible illnesses. Their screams had found a home in her head. Death was rarely peaceful.

The song of the people at the gate continued, and so did they. The wood underneath their shoes seemed to get weaker with each step they took. There were small holes and places where there was a strange, dark colour. Eleanor had a hard time, not losing balance.

When she reached a bit where the wood seemed steady enough, she looked back again. The gate wasn't there anymore. Only the green red of the roses was visible. Now they were fully at the mercy of nature's grasp.

'Until where do we need to walk?' Renna asked softly. 'I don't want to die here.'

'Me neither.' She didn't want anyone from the city to hear her scream. 'We walk until we find a place that's pretty enough to die in.'

Renna let go of her hand and wiped away her tears, before nodding softly. 'Do you have a big family?'

'Two sisters,' Eleanor said. 'But they are all older and my parents have passed away.' It was nice to know they didn't have to see this.

'I'm an only child,' Renna whispered. 'Otherwise I wouldn't be this upset.'
Eleanor didn't believe her. Nobody could have that much peace with this. 'Why not?'

'S-someone needs to do it and I always liked helping people. Isn't this the ultimate way to do so?'

'So you aren't scared.'
'I'm scared to death, but like you said. Soon none of that matters anymore.' Renna looked at her. She had stunning green eyes. 'You don't look afraid either.'

'I am not,' Eleanor pretended. 'I am angry.'

'At who?'

Soliste. 'Fate.'

'It's not the stones that choose, it's the goddess itself.'

'I know.' Eleanor quickened her pace. Around them the land lifted until the wetlands made place for a small field filled with colourful flowers. The trees around them abruptly stopped, making space for light to hit their faces. In the middle of the field there was a small building, made out of seven pillars and a roof, fully covered in roses. In the middle there was a stone altar.
A weak smile appeared on Renna's face, like she was unsure if she wanted to cry. 'I think this is it.' She took a deep breath and walked up to the altar. Her trembling fingers brushed over the smooth stone. Her smile faded, but she seemed strangely calm now.
Eleanor followed her underneath the roof and pulled her flower crown off her head. She threw it on the altar. 'I'm not sure what they have in mind, but I'm not going to lay on that and wait until I die.'

Renna looked at her. 'I get that, but there's probably nowhere else to go. The forest is less peaceful.'

'I'm not a lamb. If that goddess wants me she will have to hunt for me.' Eleanor pressed her teeth together.

'W-we shouldn't tempt her.' Renna's eyes travelled to the dark forest. She immediately jumped backwards.

'We're dying,' Eleanor snapped. 'It doesn't matter whether we challenge her. This always ends the same!' Tears rolled out of her eyes, and she hated it. She didn't want the goddess to see her fear. She didn't want to be another prey.
But she was.

Renna carefully grabbed her hand. 'It's not just about what she is doing with us. If this is my end, I don't want to run like a deer through the trees. I won't judge you if you choose to go, but I would rather stay and watch a last sunset. And I really don't want to do that alone.'

Eleanor swallowed and nodded softly. She didn't want to stay here, but she didn't want to run either. All she wanted was an escape that wouldn't come. 'If you stay, I will too,' she whispered. She looked at the dark trees that surrounded them. None of them moved, still she felt like the stone eyes of the statue still watched them.