Chapter One - Summer Development

A hot August day hung in the air, a good day to be at the pool or at home, but yet I'm stuck again at the ice cream stand working another miserable 8-hour shift. 

            I know I shouldn't have picked it up, but I couldn't help but to feel like I needed even more money. My mom and my dad thought it was a good idea to make me get a summer job in order to afford a new camera, I guess I can't complain because a lot of kids at 17 have to get jobs but what really pissed me off was the fact that they forced me to be here on days I didn't even have to work. They told me picking up many shifts as I can was important. 

        I had my suspicion that they wanted me out the house so much because maybe they were arguing and didn't want me hearing them bicker all day. But when I thought of my little sister Maria being home that went out of my mind. But I think I finally concluded as to why.

        In the beginning of the summer my mom sat me down and asked me was I having sex. I did nothing but tell her the truth. 

No. 

         When my mom asked me, I felt completely exposed and vulnerable. Her will to investigate my sex life confused me because no guy has ever really looked my way, I mean I've had crushes on them, but it wasn't reciprocated. I never viewed myself as horrendous, but I didn't care for my 13-year-old body. 

Though this summer a lot has changed, and my mom noticed. 

         My mom thought my change was a result of getting fucked by some boy. I was still her virgin Mary yet she couldn't see that so they tricked me into getting a job so I would have absolutely no social life.

          A part of me didn't care because Demi was gone at cheer camp and Cassie went to her grandparents' house in Florida, so my besties were gone. But a part of me felt like shit I didn't have their trust after being a saint all this time. 

          As I mechanically served customers, my mind wandered to the changes I had noticed in myself over the summer. Physically, I felt like a different person—a second puberty of sorts. My hair had grown longer, my skin clearer, and my body more defined. The attention from guys had been unexpected and unwelcome, pulling me away from my thoughts with unwanted advances.

        "Regular vanilla cone please." I snapped out of my deep thoughts noticing a man standing in front of me holding a 5-dollar bill. I forced a smile and began processing his order. The inevitable question followed—was I single? I offered a polite but firm decline, eager to return to my thoughts.

Remember I told you I wasn't the only one who noticed?

          "Selena?" Before I could sink back into reverie, a familiar voice broke through the monotony. I looked up and there stood Taylor L. with a little girl. "Taylor?" I spoke. I've known Taylor since the 7th grade. 

         When I moved to Cali from Texas he became my first major crush. He was the only guy in middle school that didn't give me the ick, he was always so sweet, so athletic, so tan. 

      I looked up at his face and noticed he was sweaty like he just left the gym, he was wearing a dark muscle shirt with basketball shorts, when I looked at his face I noticed a smile. 

"Uh what are you doing here?" I awkwardly blurted. 

          He explained his sister has been bothering him for weeks for a chocolate cone. As he spoke, I refrained from staring at his muscles. 

         I began to process her order and Taylor attempted to pay, but I waved off his offer, insisting it was on the house. Maybe I was a bit of an ass kisser and maybe that crush didn't completely go away. I handed his sister the cone, she thanked me and ran off to a friend she seen. "Thanks a lot. 

"No problem, I remember my sister use to like me." 

        He chuckled a bit. "Really? What happened?" I shrugged. "I think it's a preteen thing or something."

        I didn't think I was sitting here having a conversation with Taylor but for some reason it was quite easy. "Well, I'm going to head back home but we should hang out sometime."  he began pulling out his phone to exchange numbers. 

"What's your number?" 

          My heart raced as I recited my digits, feeling a surge of excitement.  "Cool I'll give you a call." He casually said leaving me there dumbfounded. I felt daze as I texted Demi and Cassie what had just happened. 

         That night the bus ride took forever, I didn't make it home till around 9 which reminded me I needed to somehow get a car, if they don't let me get a car maybe I should take my options to get a chauffeur. As I walked in, I called out to everyone but only Maria responded. "They went out to dinner." I walked to my room and flopped on my bed face first. 

     "Long day?" she asked appearing ay mt bedroom door. "Sometimes i feel like a single mom that works two jobs." 

     I could feel Marias eyeroll, "Its pizza in the oven, I'm going to bed." I shrugged and listened to her walk off to her room. Noticing my blinds was still wide open I tiredly dragged myself to my window. Thats when I see him. 

       Justin sat on his windowsill, exhaling a cloud of smoke as he stared up at the sky. When he noticed me, his eyes dropped down to meet mine. I froze as we stood there, silently observing each other. I had grown accustomed to living next door to Justin since I moved here, but I never quite got used to our rooms being situated right next to each other, with our windows facing each other. I kept my curtains closed as much as possible, but sometimes I needed sunlight.

      He looked away, no longer paying me any attention, and I began to close the curtains when my phone rang. I jumped, startled and quickly answered the FaceTime call without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?" 

"Taylor L as in Taylor Lautner?!?" Cassie yelled on the phone. I flinched at the pitch of her voice; you would think I'd be used to it by now. "Uh yes." I sat down on the edge of my bed. "Oh, you are totally getting some this year." She exclaimed excitedly. 

"I'm not! What if he just wants to be friends or just want free ice cream for his sister." My most inner thoughts began to creep up. 

"Well, if that's the case just get some from him and dump him." she mischievously countered. 

I rolled my eyes at her banter, "Tell me everything!" I told Cassie the whole story starts to finish, by the end you could tell I was blushing, and Cassie recognized. "Sel you're so head over heels."

"It just feels good to be noticed for once." I answered. 

After I listened to Cassies story about her summer fling I told her i was going to get ready for bed. I went to the curtain to completely close it and noticed Justin was gone, I was compelled to know where he went but I pushed those thoughts aside. 

Justin and I had never really seen eye to eye. It all started when he accused us of taking his best friend's house. Then he called me annoying because I wanted to go down the slide first. Ever since then, our relationship had been filled with tension, and I struggled to understand his cocky, misogynistic demeanor. Perhaps we were just destined to clash.