On the Thief's Trail

=======================================================================

Yuta: "I believe we saw the thief."

Emilia: "Really!?"

The silver-haired girl seemed quite hopeful when I said that.

Yuta: "The thief is a girl about this height, with short blonde hair, a long scarf, red eyes, wearing a black top and a brown leather jacket?"

I described Felt to Emilia, gesturing to indicate the height of the small thief.

Emilia: "Exactly, that's what she looks like!"

Reinhard: "Just before you arrived, she jumped onto the roofs of those buildings. She's probably behind those walls by now."

Reinhard took the opportunity to complement what I had said while pointing to the buildings.

Emilia: "I understand, thank you very much."

The half-elf thanked and bowed politely. Then she prepared to continue following the thief but was interrupted.

Reinhard: "Please, wait."

Emilia: "What's wrong? I'm sorry if I'm being rude, but I don't have time to waste."

Reinhard: "Don't worry, I understand your situation. As a knight, it's my duty to help you recover what was stolen from you."

Then the redhead knight looked at the brown-haired boy looking unhappy about having to delay the help he had offered earlier.

Reinhard: "I ask for your forgiveness, but I might end up getting busy."

Yuta: "Don't worry, Reinhard."

Analyzing the current state of things, I noticed that Emilia paused for a few seconds due to the proposal made by Reinhard. Without a doubt, she knows him, and certainly, the Sword Saint also knows who she is. With his help, she would recover her insignia in no time with little or no difficulty.

However, it would mean Reinhard discovering that her insignia was stolen. For her, this was a considerable problem because if this information spread, it could negatively impact her reputation (which is already very bad) in the royal selection, perhaps even disqualifying her.

However, since he is a royal guard offering to help her, if she refuses without giving a plausible reason, that would be a breach of his duty, which would be an offense to the kingdom's knights. Knowing that it would be terrible for Emilia if that happened, I presumed that now was the perfect time for me to act.

Yuta: "On the contrary, I will solve your problems this time."

Reinhard: "I don't understand what you're trying to say."

Turning my gaze back to Emilia, I looked into her eyes.

Yuta: "It seems like you don't want the guards' help for some reason, am I right?"

Emilia: "..."

Although Emilia didn't say anything in response, the look on her face spoke volumes and confirmed her situation. Certainly, this did not go unnoticed by Reinhard.

Yuta: "In that case, I will help her instead of him."

Emilia: "Huh?"

Surprised, the silver-haired girl had a puzzled expression as she tilted her head to the side. Reinhard also seemed surprised.

Reinhard: "Yuta, I appreciate your willingness to do good, but let me handle this. I may be unable to fulfill my duties, but it would be an even greater risk for you."