Chapterish 46

...

Travis calls on my way to Edge. I answer and he's already asking something about the hotel for the wedding.

"This is what Lauren's group call is for," I joke.

"Yea, but I'm making the rez now. Trix says their block will sell out or something," Travis answers. "And Brody didn't pick up."

"I am sure their block still has rooms available. Needs to be booked by September first." I tell him. "Plus, they haven't even sent their invites out yet."

I still cannot believe it's only one and a half months out. I find myself stupid excited to be back on the East Coast, back with all my oldest friends again. Excited, but anxious. I think of myself at the wedding –seeing Emmy and Josh together. I picture Cece on my arm. I create drama in my own head for drama's sake.

What if I don't bring Cece? Or she can't end up coming for some other publicity reason? My stomach soars at the idea. Not because I think she won't have a good time, or we won't. Mainly because I don't want to be worried about making sure she's entertained.

I pull around the back parking lot and sneak into the side door. It's almost 5 PM on a Friday, so prime shopping time. The gym level is packed and there's a line of Gen Zers waiting for rooftop access.

"Should have gotten more tables up there," Miles says when I enter the back room.

"The roof?"

"Yea the roof. Where else?" Miles hands me a stack of mail.

"There were zoning rules and stuff," I say, shrugging. "It'll die down. Once people stop paying $23 for a cocktail."

"Well, let's hope it doesn't. Good for business. And so is your celebrity girlfriend." Miles grins. "Speaking of Cece, how was the yacht party?"

I drop the stack of envelopes on top of the printer. "Yacht party was as expected. And hot."

"I've been in the AC all day," he says. "So, do you have the full list of the deliveries coming next week? I only see the ones for the new Men's collection."

"It's all in email. I can pull it up."

Miles moves out of the chair and pushes it towards me. I sit in front of the computer and click the Edge icon on the home screen to log into my user ID. I sign into my email and pull up the last order confirmations from our suppliers.

"Here's the whole list. Every new release, separated by ship dates and ETAs," I tell Miles, looking at the color-coded spreadsheet.

He doesn't answer.

"Miles?"

"Um–"

I turn and see Miles standing in the doorway behind me, his phone in-hand. The look on his face –I can't quite place it.

"What?" I ask, standing up and pulling my own phone out.

No missed calls. No texts.

"What?" I ask again.

"Do you have something you want to tell me?" He asks, almost smiling.

"Not that I know of? What's up?"

"Have you seen this?"

Miles holds out his phone. I see a bright red banner across the top of the webpage. Some big celeb-gossip site.

The first thing I notice is the picture, not the caption. The picture is innocent enough: Cece and I on the boat deck from this afternoon's party. I'm so used to seeing snaps of us in tabloids, it's basically boring at this point.