When Did I Wake?

My head is pounding.

    Everything hurts.

    All I hear is voices, a lot of voices.

    "Her heart is speeding up."

    "The medicine is wearing off."

    "Her blood is clotting."

    I slowly open my eyes, squinting at the bright lights pointed at my face.

    "The queen, she's awake!" Proclaims a voice.

    "Alert the king!" another states.

    "Everyone calm down. Let's not disturb the queen." My focus adjusts to see a girl with white spiky hair staring down at me.

    The Bomb.

    Thank the king.

    "Where am I?" I mumble as healers flood around me poking, and prodding me with tools.

    "You're in the healing wing, your majesty." A pale faced healer responds.

    "What happened?"

    "Bloodberries," Bomb looked on.

     "What?" I have heard of all sorts of poisons, when I was poisoning myself, but the name didn't sound familiar.

    "They were newly discovered, growing on the southern part of the land."

    "What do they do?"

    "They apparently make you bleed out," she gestures to my throat, "but for some reason the blood stopped randomly, and we drugged you to make sure everything's okay."

    A boom of thunder cascades in the sky, and I jump. "How long was I out for?" I eyed the window warily noticing the rolling dark gray storm clouds.

    "A while."

    "How many days?" I grit out.

    She mumbles something under her breath before sighing and glancing up at me, "7 days."

    "7 DAYS!" My breathing turns shallow. "Why in the world would I need to be out for 7 days?!"

    "To make sure that you really were okay." Or to make sure that if you died, you wouldn't feel pain.

    My eyes widen at the statement, and my eyes wander around the room, but nobody seemed to speak the words.

    But, if nobody spoke them, why did I hear them?

    Another thought comes to mind, "how's Cardan?"

    "He's umm, the king is..." the Bomb trails off.   

    I narrow my eyes at her, "tell me."

    "Well, he's not exceptionally great." She meets the gazes of the healers, who for the first time I notice that they look terrified.

    "Bomb, as your queen, I command you to tell me how my husband, the king, is holding up."

    "Bad, okay! It's been storming for 7 days, and the only times it let up was when you started moving and we informed the king. But then when you wouldn't wake the rain came down even harder." She paused to catch her breath. "He's being impossible. He refuses to eat or sleep, and comes down every day to watch you for hours on end. He's also been horrible to everybody. Snapping at people, throwing them in the tower of forgetting, mercilessly. He hasn't even hosted one revel."

    She looks into my eyes and whispers, "he's broken, Jude."

    I see the sincerity in her eyes and I don't doubt her words.

    I glance out the windows to see the storm that's beating down on the land, ripping it into shreds.

    Just like the High Kings heart.