Chapter 15: Unexpected Apology

Start from the beginning

The library, with its towering shelves and the scent of old books, felt like a sanctuary. I browsed through the sections, pulling out volumes that covered the strategic philosophies of ancient generals, treatises on the art of war, and compilations of legendary battles. Each book was a gateway to a world of knowledge that went beyond what I knew of the game's lore.

Before I could settle into a seat, however, a certain pink bunny caught my attention. The sight was unexpected—Lydian, the central figure of our little world, without her usual entourage. She seemed engrossed in her task, flipping through books with a focused intensity. It was rare to see her alone; she was often surrounded by a group, her harem, as some called it, that followed her from class to class, hanging on her every word and action.

Curiosity got the better of me. It wasn't just her solitude that intrigued me, but the subject of the books she was perusing. From where I stood, I could see the titles were all related to healing magic theory. It was known that Lydian had a knack for healing due to her holy affinity, but her dedication to advancing her skills was something I hadn't fully appreciated.

With a book on ancient sword techniques under my arm, I approached her, my steps quiet in the hushed library atmosphere. "Looking to enhance your healing skills?" I asked, hoping my tone conveyed genuine interest rather than a challenge.

Lydian looked up, her initial surprise quickly melting into a guarded expression. "Evelyn," she acknowledged, a hint of caution in her voice. "I am. Actually, there's a favor I wanted to ask of you..."

A favor? I didn't expect to hear those words coming from the girl who was constantly wary of me.

"Would you be able to help me understand holy magic?" She asked, hesitantly, as if anticipating a refusal.

"I'm not an expert in holy magic," I confessed, pondering the possibility. "Why do you ask?"

Lydian took a deep breath, her gaze dropping to the books spread out before her. "I figured since we both had rare attributes... I mean I can't really turn to anybody else, not even the teachers can teach me how to use holy spells effectively."

"So that's why you have been looking at these types of books..." I took a second glance at her pile, "I suppose I'll try my best to help."

I figured since she had the guts to approach me, despite our previous altercations, it was only fair to offer whatever assistance I could. After all, I didn't want bad blood to continue between us.

"Thank you so much!" Lydian's face brightened, the guarded tension easing as a smile flickered across her features.

"So I guess I should first ask you, how did you come to learn dark magic? Only a few textbooks even mention it, and they're all theoretical at best," Lydian inquired, her curiosity genuine.

I chuckled, a sound that surprised even me. "Well, it wasn't through textbooks, that's for sure," I admitted. "A lot of it was trial and error, and I had some... unique circumstances that helped."

Lydian leaned in, intrigued. "Unique circumstances? Like what?"

I couldn't exactly say I knew the moves from the game... so how could I explain it?

"Well, I won't go into detail, but perhaps you just need to get into the right mindset. Think positivity? Ok, what if you saw a cat being held at gunpoint? What would you do?"

Lydian blinked, taken aback by my sudden shift. "A cat at gunpoint? I... I would do everything in my power to save it. I'd use my healing magic to protect it, to create a barrier, or heal any injuries it might have."

"That's the spirit," I nodded, pleased with her response. "You see, it's not just about the spells you cast, but the intent behind them. Your desire to help and protect is a powerful driver for holy magic. Maybe, instead of focusing solely on the technical aspects, channel that compassion and determination into your spells."

Her eyes lit up with understanding, a spark of realization dawning. "I never thought about it that way. I've always been so focused on getting the incantations and gestures right that I forgot about the heart of holy magic."

Lydian nodded, a look of renewed determination on her face. "Thank you, Evelyn. I'll definitely give that a try. And... about the cat scenario, it was just a metaphor, right?"

I nodded. "Yes, simply a metaphor. But it helped make the point, didn't it?"

"It did," she agreed, smiling. "But now I'm curious, what metaphors do you imagine when casting dark magic spells?"

"Oh, um... perhaps that's not something easily put into words," I hesitated, realizing the complexity of explaining dark magic's nuances without revealing too much about my own origins or making it sound foreboding. "But let's say it involves embracing the night's quiet. Imagine the calm and the clarity it brings, allowing you to see the stars more clearly. It's about finding peace in the darkness and using that calm to focus your energy."

Lydian pondered this for a moment, her expression contemplative. "So, it's more about harmony than conflict. Using the darkness not as a weapon, but as a means to reveal light in a different form."

"Exactly," I affirmed, impressed by her quick grasp of the concept. "Every type of magic has its depth and beauty. It's all about how we choose to perceive and wield it."

We continued discussing various aspects of magic, theory, and practice, finding common ground in our shared curiosity and the desire to learn. As the library's clock chimed, signaling the time to part, Lydian stood, gathering her books.

"Thank you, Evelyn. This has been incredibly helpful. I feel like I've gained a new perspective, not just on holy magic, but on magic as a whole. And... I'm sorry for any tension that's been between us. I hope we can move past it."

Before I could say a word she immediately turned on her heel and sped away, her pink silhouette disappearing among the bookshelves.

Left in the quiet embrace of the library, I found myself reflecting on her apology. It was unexpected, genuine. To see Lydian, the heroine of our story, open up and express remorse showed a depth of character I hadn't fully appreciated before. Her initiative to bridge the gap between us, despite the complexities of our past interactions, was exactly what a main character would do.