Chapter 15: Luck of the Draw

Alexis awoke some time later and was surprised to find Melody still snuggled up to him. He certainly wasn't upset by it, but another part of him was excited on a whole different level. Damn stupid trouser snake, you better just shut it down. He tried to move enough to reclaim his right arm which had gotten trapped behind her, his fingers grazing her ass as he dislodged it. The 'friend' in his pants twitched again and he knew he needed to get some air. He inched his way away from her and thought he was just about free when she opened her eye and looked up at him.

"Hey," she said softly, rubbing her eye with her hand. "When did you wake up?"

"Just now," he responded. "I was trying not to wake you, but I'm getting an urgent call from nature..."

"Oh! I'm sorry," she said, quickly moving away from him. He kicked himself. Just earlier he'd promised he wouldn't lie to her. Technically he supposed it wasn't a lie, but he wasn't desperate for the bathroom like she seemed to think.

"I'll be back in a few," he said, going over to the carriage door and pulling it open.

"Wait, what are you going to..." He knew she'd figured it out as she watched him hop on the back of one of the other soldier's horses so they could slow down and let him to the ground. He was certain she would be watching through the window, so he waved and walked over to the side of the road to relieve himself.

He was just finishing up when he heard hoofbeats approaching and looked up to see it was Liara who'd returned for him. She must have switched horses with someone else so she could be the one to pick him up. She was lighter so it would certainly be a bit easier on the horse to carry him and her rather than one of the other men in armor.

"Thanks," he said, getting up on the horse and settling in behind her. They started picking up speed to catch up to the caravan, the sun off to their right and slightly behind them. "Liara...I don't know what I'm going to do. That girl is too perfect."

"Pshh."

Alexis glowered. "I don't care for your tone."

"I knew you'd fall for her. You like taking care of people and you like strong people. All

the women I've known you to lie with were doing their own thing, using you almost as much as you were using them. And I've only known you a short time. Melody is perfect for you because she needs your help, is inevitably going to fall in love with you if she hasn't already and as she learns she can be her own person she's going to become a powerhouse. It's almost the best of both worlds for you. She needs you and she can help you."

Alexis was silent for a bit before responding. "Your tone hasn't improved."

"Sulk all you want," she laughed. "But I know the real issue here and either you're gonna have blue balls for a long time to come," she held up one finger as she spoke, adding a second as she continued, "you're gonna need courtesans or if you're somehow supremely lucky, she just might let you bed her."

Courtesans... It was something widely done in the south, keeping mistresses openly. Caldrath frowned upon it, yet most men had mistresses anyway. Surely it was better to be honest about it than hide? He had promised to be honest with her in all things. The only problem was that right now he only wanted her.

"Come back to me when you have good advice," he replied haughtily. "Now why don't you join her in the carriage for a bit? I need the air."

"Running away from your problems? Typical man." Alexis scrowled as he dropped Liara off at the carriage and kicked his horse forward to catch up to Simon who was riding point.

"Well, if'n' it ain't my Lord," Simon chortled. "Finally decided to leave that beautiful woman alone? You're stronger than I am, that's for damn sure."