Chapter Six.

Differing perspective.

Day - 0001 - Wednesday

Hour - 21:01:00

Barsah, Iraq.

Sr. Lt. Tailor. - 9th Infantry Strike Force - Oscar Detachment.

Stepping up the small embankment along the side of the street, I keep a few feet behind the human soldier as we cross the street. He's the one taking points ahead of me, which I find a bit frustrating. But it doesn't matter much, as if we come into contact he'll be the one to get shot at first. Though it seems these humans don't seem to mind that. We end up crossing the street and making it to the base of the construction site. With a gap between the chain link fence, we head on through into the site proper. It's strangely quiet, compared to what this place was like about an hour or three ago. With only a few scattered objects or construction equipment around the site. Even a few hard hats and high-vis vests lay in the sand around us. Keeping our pace forward, there's a large hole in the wall ahead of us, right between two other walls that look like they were complete before this whole thing happened. I watch as the masked human takes a step up the rubble remains of the wall, glancing in with his rifle raised, flicking on the light that's attached to the end of his rifle. After he glances to the right, then the left, he lowers his rifle back down towards the ground and then glances once more back to me.

Cpl. Lloyd: "Seems clear." He states in an emotionless tone. While turning his head back forward.

Keeping silent, and taking in a sharp breath, I throw my rifle to my back, hanging thanks to the strap attached to it, and pull out my sidearm, watching as the human walks into the structure, raising his rifle back up to his shoulder. Following him in, I flick on the small light attached to the bottom of my pistol and keep behind the soldier as we step through the mostly empty room. Only a few boxes and other bits of construction equipment litter the room, the framework of the walls, and a few dozen or so metal pipes cover the floor and around the room. We keep down the room, watching out for any type of movement or anything of that matter.

Yet, after about three minutes of this, nothing comes from it. Instead of continuing this, I lower my sidearm, letting out a frustrated sigh and turning to the soldier across the framework of some walling.

Taking in a quick sharp breath, "There's not a living soul here." I let out to the soldier, who glanced over to me.

I'm unable to even see what his expression is, thanks to the mask and pair of shades he has on. Which slightly annoys me as well.

Cpl. Lloyd: "That doesn't excuse us being cautious." He tells me.

"I think it does. We're wasting time doing this when we could be up the roof already." I tell the soldier, who lowers his rifle and looks at me, his tan mask and pitch-black shades covering his face.

Cpl. Lloyd: "If you want to go to the roof, then go, I'll finish checking this place for any hostiles." He states, grabbing his rifle with both hands instead of holding it by the grip.

Letting out a stifled chuckle, I holster my pistol and look at the soldier. "Gladly, you have fun with... this," I state to him as I walk down the length of the room, heading to the small stairwell in the corner of the room.

As I make it to the first step of the stair and start to head up it, I stop at the halfway point of the stairwell and glance back to where the soldier was. He's still there, but further down the room, walking slowly with his rifle ready and gun light on. Shaking my head, I let out a chuckle.