Chapter 14 - Not-Not

The queasies took flight in my gut as we stepped into the arbitration chamber, and I clenched Walt's hand tight. The room wasn't that fancy, with gray tables and chairs for each opposing side, angled toward a center plas-steel desk with a high-back chair where the official Arbitrator sat. Between the tables sat an upright lectern where, presumably, a witness may speak. Two windows on one side let in natural light. The only things that might be loosely called decorations were a copy of the provincial constitution pasted on a wall opposite the windows, and a Mars flag hanging down from a crooked pole behind the desk. I could just make out the reddish circle representing the planet on a simple dark background of stars.

By Martian Provincial laws, as Jyn explained it, all disputes appeared first before an Arbitrator. This was meant to streamline the legal process and avoid the drawn-out trials and posturing that sometimes occurred on Earth, although powerful people abused the system, regardless. Today's appearance wasn't so much a trial as a hearing, where both sides presented key evidence. The Arbitrator had broad powers to dismiss a lawsuit, or move it forward to a formal court trial, with or without judgement. In cases with an arbitration judgement, the court may decline to take the case, leaving the judgement standing.

To my heart-warming surprise, the three rows of chairs at the back were full of Martian brides, there to support Walt and me. I knew Elena and Amahli had come, traveling all the way from Olympus. Riya stayed behind to look after the chickens — new baby chicks took a lot of care. A small cheer went up as we walked in and took our places.

Hushed boos rose as the plaintiff attorney walked in, a tall light-skinned woman with gray-streaked brown hair tied in a tight bun and a blank, almost bored-like expression. Following close behind was the devil himself — by my estimation, anyway — Fleming Barnes, wearing a big-money black suit. As his eyes cast hell-fire at me, I put on a little sarcastically sweet smile and gave him a little wave. Jyn warned me about causing trouble, but I thought this didn't go too far.

Preceded by a white-shirted bailiff, the Arbitrator walked in from another door behind his desk. He was a tan-skinned, gray-haired man wearing a simple black robe with a red Mars Federation crest below one shoulder. I wasn't sure whether to rise, but when nobody else did, I remained seated.

After the Arbitrator sat at the desk, the bailiff announced in a booming baritone voice, "Court Arbitration case CL-5796.1, Mars Land Bank versus Mavis Jones and Walt Green, and case CL-5796.2, Mars Land Bank versus Mavis Jones, is now in session."

The Arbitrator looked down at a tablet-viewer, touched it to mirror output on two large view screens mounted high on front and back walls, then looked up. "Both councils previously agreed to hear these cases simultaneously, is that still true?"

After both lawyers replied, "Yes, your honor," the Arbitrator nodded and muttered, "So entered." He scanned the murmuring crowd with narrowed eyes and added, "I remind all those present that the rules of legal arbitration are in force, and I will not allow any disruptions." After the gals went as quiet as church mice, he turned to Fleming's lawyer. "The Plaintiff may begin."

Stepping up with a confident air and a smug grin, the plaintiff lawyer approached the lectern and laid down her tablet-viewer. After clearing her throat, she began, "The plaintiff submits for arbitration, contracts legally signed by the defendants." She poked the tablet, and two documents appeared on the overhead view-screens. "First, the land grant contract signed by both defendants, and second, the emigration contract signed by Ms. Mavis Jones."

By her direction, the documents scrolled to the damning parts. I bristled as the attorney pitched a mocking glance at me and Walt, then turned back to the Arbitrator. "This case is quite simple, your honor. The contracts require marriage. In the land grant contract, the defendants falsely claimed to be married to acquire more favorable conditions, and in the emigration contract, marriage within forty-eight hours was required of Ms. Jones to a chosen spouse. These marriages never occurred, your honor. And as such, fraud was committed to the financial detriment of the Mars Land Bank."