Chapter 3 Where to?

Third person POV

The Company departed in the morning the next day.

They had gathered in the courtyard of Rivendell as many of the elves, including Elrond and Arwen, gathered to say farewell.

"The Ring bearer is setting out on the quest to Mount Doom," Elrond said. "And you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves, and Men, and all free folk go with you."

Elrond placed one hand on his chest; Legolas and Aragorn did the same, as this was the signature greeting or farewell of the elves.

"The Fellowship awaits the Ring Bearer," Gandalf said. Frodo paused for a second, then turned, taking the first step out of Rivendell.

"Morder, Gandalf. Is it left or right?" Frodo whispered frantically, trying not to look like a fool.

"Left," Gandalf answered, and Frodo turned left. He was closely followed by Gandalf, Gimli, Boromir, Pippin, Merry, Legolas, Randir, and Sam, who was leading Bill.

Aragorn hesitated, turning around to see Arwen. The ghost of a smile flickered over his face as an unspoken message was conveyed between them. He turned and walked out of the gates of Rivendell.

The Company followed Gandalf as he led the way out of Rivendell. Many leagues they walked, across plains, over slopes, and across rivers.

"We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds, then the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns East, to Mordor,," Gandalf had said at the beginning of the journey.

Now, they were resting on one of the many hills. During that time, Boromir was teaching the two halflings, Merry and Pippin how to swordfight.

"Two, one, five," he said as he sparred with Pippin. "Good," he said. "Very good!"

"Move your feet!" Aragorn advised as he watched them, smoking from his pipe. Right in front of them, Frodo and Sam watched while they ate. Not far off, Randir chuckled to himself as he watched, amused, how the halflings sparred.

Their form was not perfect, nor did they get every technique perfect, but they had the bearings of a good soldier; they would be a quite formidable enemy to meet on the battlefield. If they were trained properly, that is.

In the distance, Gimli was talking to Gandalf. Randir angled his ears, eavesdropping on the conversation.

"If anyone was asking for my opinion, which when I looked, they were not, I'd say we were taking the long way around," he said, clearly frustrated that they were going the long way.

"Gandalf," he said to Gandalf, who was smoking on his pipe.

Seriously, the deal with this dude and smoking?

Like, is addicted or something? Anyways, Gimli was talking to Gandalf.

"My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome." (Does that make Gloin Balin's uncle? 'Cause if Balin is Gimli's cousin, and Gimli is Gloin's son, that would make Gloin Balin's uncle)

"No, Gimli," Gandalf replied. "I would not take the road to Moria unless I had no other choice," he said, shaking his head.

Wise as always, Gandalf, Randir thought. You must know that they awakened it. The Bane of Durin. The dwarves delved too deep and too greedily. They woke the Servant of Morgoth.

"What do you know?" A voice asked from behind Randir. He let out a long breath as Legolas approached him.

"Many things are happening, Legolas. Things that are not what they seem. There are too many things that are false in rumors to be sure of all things. But, tell me, Legolas Greenleaf, Son of Thranduil, how did you know I was holding back knowledge?"