I cried so hard when I got into the car that night with Star that I thought I was going to have a breakdown. I realized I'd lived without Blaze Baxter before and I could do it again.

Right?

Blaze

I couldn't even stand to look at myself. I hated the way she avoided me. I hated the way I could still smell her perfume when she'd walk into the room and I hated the way I found myself crying when I'd go home at night.

I'd been drawing like crazy, but they were mostly drawings or paintings of her. I couldn't think of anything else and I didn't want to.

Dad was weird about it. He and Brenda had been having issues and I tried to tell him about the other guys, but he didn't want to listen. He told me that if Sapphire was the one it would happen, my Mom didn't contain her emotions and I was reamed a new asshole when she showed up at the townhouse the following day after Sapphire and I split up.

I let her yell. I didn't care.

I drove over to Eddie's and talked to Kenny who was surprised to see me.

"What's happening, Baxter?"He leaned over the counter. I knew I looked like shit and I didn't care.

"I need a favor,"I told him, "I need you to take Sapphire to the prom."

Kenny straightened up, "Wouldn't you be the one to take her?"

"Don't act like you don't know and don't act like you don't have feelings for her," I leaned against the counter and he backed up, "I know if I hadn't have interfered, the two of you might have hit it off. Hell, maybe you still will."

Kenny swallowed. Of course, he liked Sapphire. I'd told him to fuck off that day we brought her car in, but I needed her to be happy.

"Who says she'd want to go with me?"Kenny asked.

"Just ask her, bro, it's all I'm saying,"I tapped my fingers on the counter, "Just don't hurt her, OK?"

"Why does this matter so much to you?"

"Because I love the hell out of her and she was looking forward to wearing that damn dress,"I told him.

Kenny nodded. He'd do anything for her and I could see that. They'd been friends for a while, but then I came along and fucked that up.

"OK,"he said, "When is prom?"

"About two weeks from now,"I told him. Damn, it had been a month since she'd been in my arms.

"OK, I'll see what I can do, man,"Kenny nodded.

I slapped the counter and walked out.

He'd make her happy.

Sapphire

I'd gotten a call from Kenny about prom and I knew Blaze had interfered, but I didn't care. I said yes.

I wanted to wear my dress and Kenny was a nice guy. At least he'd be good to me.

I just felt like I was in a daze when I was walking around the school anymore. My grades were fine and so was my job. I had to run some errands for the paper and yearbook so there were occasions when I had to interrupt a class, but the teachers were so over the school year that they didn't mind.

I waved to Mr. Blake, who just happened to be Blaze's math teacher. I had just finished the quiz in mine and was able to leave, but I needed some information about Blake for the yearbook and he'd told me to stop by.

He waved me in and I could feel him staring at me, but I kept my composure and sat down in a seat next to Blake. We spoke quietly for a few minutes and I wrote down some notes. Thanking him for his time, I started to leave.