"He isn't a cop, he's FBI." Marcus followed her into the elevator. "He takes his job seriously. He's a good agent, one of the best. Just so you know, he is willing to die for you. I don't understand why but he will put himself on the line for you. I expect you to do the same for him."

Sam didn't respond. She didn't know how. No one has been willing to give their life for hers. She works alone for a reason. She trusts no one." Sam bit her lip as they rode in silence. "She just wishes she knew when she decided that the only person she truly trusted was the FBI agent who has chased her for two years."

Opening the door to the suite, Marcus led Sam inside. Making sure that no one had followed them up, or was waiting for them, Marcus allowed Sam to go to her family.

Seeing their niece, the two women jumped to their feet and went to her. Lottie wrapped her arms around Sam and held on. Maisy held both of them. Looking over her shoulder Sam's eyes met Knox's and she sighed.

Mouthing the words "thank you" to him, Sam listened as her aunts talked at once to her.

"What is going on Sammie?" Lottie asked, "What kind of trouble are you involved in?"

"Sammie? What the devil are you wearing?" Maisy touched the long blonde hair.

"It's a wig. A disguise to keep me safe," Sam explained. Looking at Knox she ushered her aunts to the couch. "I'm not involved in anything. There's someone who thinks I have information that I don't have. Knox and Marcus are helping me to keep me safe and to take this person down."

"You're working with the FBI then? You're helping them?" Lottie asked, looking at Knox. "He was shot because of this person."

"Marcus told me," Sam went over to Knox on the bed and sat next to him. "I'm so sorry you got shot. How do you feel?"

"Like I got shot," Knox grumbled, not feeling his best at the moment. "We need another room. We can't all stay here. There's not enough room."

"I'll take care of that. My lovely wife made quite the scene downstairs trying to find her aunts. I'm sure they'll be happier dealing with me," Marcus offered and took a dinner order while he was at it. "I'll be back soon."

Giving Knox the "You're in charge" look, Marcus left to deal with the room and food. Knox sat up, cringing as he tried to move his arm. Sam watched him closely and when it was clear he shouldn't be moving around, she nudged him back down on the bed.

"Stay put, I'm really sorry you got shot. I'm sorry you got involved in all this. Marcus was right about you," Sam touched Knox's cheek, looking softly into his eyes and wishing for something that can't be.

"I'm a lousy patient and I hate that I can't do my job right now?" Knox asked, trying to lighten the mood. She was getting a little too close to being serious with him.

"That too," she smiled as she brushed the hair from his forehead. "You are a good man, Knox McKenzie. A really good man. I really wish our situation was different. I would have done something stupid if it was."

Understanding exactly how she felt since Knox was feeling the same way, he took hold of her hand, turning his head to kiss her palm before keeping her hand in his. "What would you do, Sam? If it was different right now. What would you want to do?"

A mischievous smile lit up her eyes. It's been a long time since a man flirted with her. Flirted with the real her. It was nice and it made her nervous knowing that he might just feel the same way she did. It would only lead to trouble for both of them. But it was just talk, it's not like it would actually happen, right?

"Sam, what would you want with me?" Knox asked again, needing to hear the answer.

She took a deep breath and shook her head, she knew it didn't matter. The situation was what it was. She's a thief and he's not. He's the good guy who will only get hurt if she tells him the truth. He will think he can change her, but he can't. It would never work.

"Hey, talk to me," when he cupped her face in his hand it almost broke her. What would she do for this? For just one night with him?

"It doesn't matter. I don't live like that, Knox. I can't think about what I know I can't have. It won't change anything and we'd both be hurt for it. It doesn't matter what I want, I have to think about what I have to do to keep them safe. I have to get you and Marcus out of this," Sam knows she does better when she works alone. That's just the way it has to stay.

"What if I said I wanted to help you?" She closed her eyes and swallowed hard. Too late, it was too late.

"You can't," she felt the damn tear and swiped at it. "I have to do this alone. You already got hurt. I need you to take care of them," she pointed at the two older women flipping through the channels on the television. "Do that for me. Keep them safe, that's what I need."

"I plan on doing that, just as I plan on keeping you safe too. That's my job, Sam." He made his point clear. "I'm going to do my job but you know what I think? I think you want more than that. I think you've got feelings for me that you don't want to deal with. That's okay, I'm a patient man. I'll wait for you to figure it out."

"No," Sam refused, shaking her head. "I don't want anything else. I don't have any feelings for you. None," she lied, "just keep them as your priority from now on. I'm fine on my own. I don't need you."

Getting up Sam walked over to her aunts and hugged both of them. She had to trust Knox to keep them out of harm's way. The longer she stayed there the more danger they were in. None of them were safe if she didn't leave soon.

"I have to go, take care of Knox. I know he's crabby and a horrible patient but he's a good guy. Please take care of him," she begged her aunts before she could get away from them.

"Of course we will. Sammie? Where are you going? You can't deal with this person on your own. You can't go after them! Knox, tell her she has to stay put," Lottie tried to get him to help her.

"Be careful out there. Veronica has no conscience. She will kill you the minute she sees you. Sam, if you can run, go. I'll find you again," Knox encouraged her to do something that hadn't even crossed her mind. She hadn't considered running away. She had too much to lose now but he was giving her the chance to get away from Veronica, and him.

Nodding her head, Sam rushed out the door and hurried down the hall. She had to finish this. Too many people were involved. Too much was at stake now. She couldn't risk anyone else.

Going down to the lobby, she passed Marcus and heard the clerk give him the new room number. Her family will be safe in their hands. Slipping out the door, Sam disappeared into the crowd and kept herself out of sight as she worked her way up to a good look out point on the roof of the building across the street from the hotel.

She settled into her spot and watched the people below. She saw the car who had been trailing them, he parked in front of the hotel. He was in and out within minutes not finding what he was looking for. She knew that wouldn't be the end of it but for the moment, the people she cared about most remained safe.

Please remember to vote comment and share