CHAPTER FOURTEEN

chapter fourteen: just allies

SERAPHINA FAYE DID NOT LIKE her circumstances. She had somehow managed to turn a five person alliance into eight.

Her friends were in this arena, her dear friends. But it was dangerous to team up with a number over four, nevermind eight. She felt on edge, watching over her shoulder for anyone.

They were a large group, they would eventually have to part, and Seraphina dreaded that moment.

But until then, she would protect her allies. Because that's what they did. Being back in the games brought back old memories. She wondered about Clifford Steep all the time. If he had won, would he have been reaped?

She missed him. Only having known him for a few days, he made a large impact on her.

She wished she could only remember the good memories, but with the good came the very very bad. Every time she thought of him, she could practically hear the bat bashing against his skull, feel his blood on her skin.

Seraphina could also think of her old District partner, Christian Flick. The boy who had searched every nook and corner of the sandy arena to find her. The boy who protected her until the very end.

Despite Cornelius murdering them both, Seraphina always felt as though their blood was on her hands.

Now, walking along with her allies deeper into the forest, Peeta borrowing her machete to clear the path, she wondered how long it would take before she put one of them in danger too. How long would it take for Atticus and the careers to find her?

Cashmere and Brutus hated her for what she did to their tributes, she was sure they would come for her if needed. Would their search for revenge cause the death of one of her allies?

Her thoughts, however, were loudly interrupted by Katniss' loud yell. "Peeta, NO!"

She flinched as a miniature explosion flooded her sight where Peeta walked, the boy being flung back after hitting into the force field. He crashed into the rest of them, sending the four straight to the ground.

Katniss cried out, watching as his body hit the ground hard, a sizzling sound from his burns sending shivers up Seraphina's spine. "He's not breathing... he's not breathing! He's not breathing—"

Finnick pushed Katniss' crying form off the boy, immediately rushing to save him in CPR. The Everdeen girl raised her bow in defence, ready to shoot at what she thought was a murder attempt.

Seraphina was quick to rush in front of the bow, her gaze so serious as she held a hand up.

"He's helping him," The brunette stated, stepping aside slightly to show Finnick's CPR.

After a moment, Katniss nodded, lowering the bow and joining Seraphina's side as they watched the blonde boy press hard down on his chest. The girl from 8 noticed Finnick slowing down in tiredness, the dehydration getting to him as his attempts to save Peeta's life got weaker. "C'mon Peeta."

Placing a hand on his shoulder, her brown eyes gave him a pleading look, one Finnick understood. He could always read her well. He nodded, sitting up and stopping, allowing Seraphina to take over while he rested.