CHAPTER TWELVE

chapter twelve: you were like an angel to me

THE QUARTER QUELL REAPING WAS unlike your usual hunger games reaping. Because instead of the chances of entering being slim to none, it was now 50%.

District 8's uprising had done little to disrupt the workings of the Capitol, with victors stood up on the podium, the Mayor with them. 8 had lost any right to an escort years ago after one of the tributes had pushed them in front of the train in a fit of anger.

Now, centre stage and surrounded by peacekeepers stood the four victors turned tributes.

Claudiana Treech — 16th victor
Edwardus Havens — 34th victor
Atticus Maverick — 51st victor
Seraphina Faye — 73rd victor

The males on one side and the females on the other, Seraphina stared straight ahead, not daring to watch as the mayor slowly pulled out a name. Her heart was in her stomach, almost knowing her fate before it was spoken.

"The female tribute for the 75th annual Hunger Games is..." he trailed off, slowly opening the paper. "Seraphina Faye."

It was as if the gates to hell had reopened. Of course she had been reaped, that was just her luck. She could hear Claudiana's sigh of relief, ignoring it as a tear slipped down her cheek.

The larger part of Seraphina was just simply angry. She had been obedient to Snow, she had not shown any sign of rebellion, not mention 8's uprising to a soul, and this is how she was being treated.

Standing to the front beside the mayor, the girl stepped forward to the crowds — the crowds that were forced to attend after their rebellion had fallen. With her hands out, she took a bow, her eyes finding the camera as she glared.

To make matters worse, the Mayor called out again. "The male tribute for the 75th annual Hunger Games is... Atticus Maverick."

Fuck.

Atticus' face dropped, the man freezing for a moment before reluctantly joining the brunette front and centre. The mayor began to congratulate the pair, watching as they shook hands for the cameras before they were lead off.

Seraphina ignored the stare of her new District partner, her eyes staring straight ahead as she was forced rather quickly onto the train. It didn't matter what she did now, she was entering that arena.

❀❀❀❀❀

The train ride to the Capitol was long and full of dread. Seraphina had locked herself in her room, desperate to stay clear from any comment or even any sight of Atticus Maverick. She didn't want to ally with him, she never would. Even after they arrived in their suite on floor 8, Seraphina still wouldn't budge.

Their mentor in Edwardus Havens was as useless as Atticus was for Seraphina. He didnt care for their lives, just wanted the free food and alcohol that came with being a mentor.

Meanwhile, up in suite 12, Haymitch Abernathy was trying his best to limit the disadvantage Katniss and Peeta both held. He went through tributes upon tributes, making his way from District 1 to 11.

At District 8, Haymitch sighed at the man waving to the crowds. "Atticus Maverick, won the 51st games, the year after me. He managed to earn the trust of the career pack, only to murder them all in his sleep and steal the best weapons to win."