CHAPTER SEVEN

chapter seven: the reckoning

SERAPHINA HAD MADE A HUGE mistake. Being in the Hunger Games should've kept her on high alert at all times, but she had been reckless, and the cream's side effect of tiredness had gotten to her. She had fallen asleep.

The girl woke up with a jolt, as if her brain suddenly remembered she wasn't supposed to be sleeping. Glancing around in a panic, she let out a small sigh of relief when she realised nothing had changed.

Clifford was still sleeping against her, his chest slowly rising and falling as he dreamt of escaping the games. As far as she could tell, no one was around.

But when the girl rubbed the sleep from her eyes, she heard the door that hid them from the hallway burst open. Cornelius' eyes quickly found her, a large smirk forming on his face. "Found her!"

"No," the girl mumbled, sitting on her knees as she tried to shake the young sleeping boy awake. "Clifford! Clifford, come on... wake up!"

She grabbed the boys bat, holding it in front of her as protection. Cornelius stormed towards her, his axe held tightly in his grasp as the ginger finally woke up.

He squinted slightly, a hand in front of his face before he slowly took in the sight before him. Seraphina swung at the career after avoiding his downward attack, hitting him right in the side of his ribs. He groaned in pain, falling slightly before managing to catch himself.

Clifford scrambled to his feet, backing himself into a corner as he searched for a way out. The windows outside would only lead to death, and as far as he knew there was only one exit.

There was no way out.

Zeus and Clemenda appeared after a moment, the tall blonde storming over to the ginger.

"No!" Seraphina screamed, using her body as a shield to rush into him and shove the career, protecting the kid.

Zeus stumbled back, but ultimately overpowered the smaller girl and threw her into the wall. The brunette felt her head hit the wall hard, falling to the floor with a groan.

He kicked her in the stomach for good measure, the glare he wore so deadly. Then, gestured to Clifford, he gave Cornelius the okay.

Clifford tried to fight, he really did.

The small boy let out a yell, running at the career and using his wooden shiv to stab him in the knee. "Fuck!" The older boy screamed out, dropping his axe in the process.

The older teens' anger overcame him, grabbing the bat from the ground and turning back to the ginger. Clifford had no time to react when the bat came swinging at his face, a large cracking sound left in its wake.

He was almost knocked out from the fatal hit, fall to his knees as the blood came gushing out from the side he got hit. "No!" Seraphina cried, trying to sit up. Clemenda turned to her in a glare, using her boot to press down on the girl's neck.

The girl cried out in pain, watching in horror as Cornelius took a step closer to the small boy. Clifford turned to Seraphina, his vision slightly woozy from the hit that was sure to leave brain damage.

"Clifford!" She cried, the tears falling from his face as she was forced to watch.

But the boy just gave her a sad smile, a smile that was filled with gratefulness and compassion. Thank you, his eyes told her. Thank you for protecting me.