CHAPTER TEN

❀
                       chapter ten: the sun and the moon

6 MONTHS LATER...

SERAPHINA FAYE HAD WON THE 73rd annual Hunger Games, a notch most people would be proud to have on their belt. But not the brunette.

In the last 7 months of being involved in the Hunger Games, Seraphina has seen her life taken a turn for the worst. Yes, she had money, a nice house and many adoring fans, but the girl would have truly preferred the life she was already living.

When she had returned to district 8, the first thing she was notified of was the passing of her mother.

Her father had been the one to bring her home, a proud smile on his face as he hugged her at the train station in front of the cheering crowds. It was something that had already alerted her to it, seeing as her father had never taken interest in anything in her life.

Once they arrived home, she was told of what had happened.

Vienna had apparently grown sick from worry for her daughter after she had been reaped, and her condition had worsened over time. She had passed just days into the games, her last words asking if her daughter was safe.

It was as if Seraphina's world had completely shattered.

The sudden anchor that held her together, one of the only things had had pushed the girl so far to win, was dead. She had missed her funeral, missed being by her side.

Seraphina found it hard to do anything after that. She had moved into her new home, provided to all victors by the Capitol, with her father, the man being promoted in his job to senior manager in the factory he worked at.

The girl never did find out what her mother would've told her the day she was reaped.

Life was different without Vienna Faye by her side, someone who was so present in her everyday life. She had no school left, and all forms of a social life vanished once she heard of her dead mother. Sure, people came by with presents and condolences, but the brunette could tell by the way they so eagerly wanted to know of her riches, that even they were using her.

It was three months after the games that the girl picked up her mother's guitar, something passed down from generations of her family of... What was her mother's maiden name again?

God, Seraphina felt as though everything, even memories were slipping away from her.

The guitar was a friendly reminder of who she was before the games, of everything she loved about her life. It brought her a comfort to play, and so that is what grounded her to the present day.

Seraphina's games had not only been the talk of the town, but also the talk between every other district and the Capitol. People talked of how brutal the tributes had been, of their violent methods, especially from the careers.

It was a month after when the brunette found out about the investigation under Zeus Stranson, district 2's male tribute. Rumours began to spread of his older and larger physique, which led to talks of him actually being over the age of 18, volunteering as a 21 year old instead.

There was a slight uproar from the district's but where quickly silenced through a public dismissal by President Snow, denying the allegations that were secretly true.