PROLOGUE

can't catch me now

PANEM WAS A STRANGE COUNTRY. The war of the Districts vs the Capitol brought on new rules, regulations and new punishments.

Layla Blue Baird was 9 when the Hunger Games was first introduced. She lost her parents at a very young age, the memory of her mother still being grieved, all she had was her sister Lucy Gray and their covey.

Maude Ivory had a song she would sing called 'Blue Bird', all about the strength and kindness of the young girl who mothered them all. It was Lucy Gray's favourite to listen to.

District 12 were left to pick up the pieces of life and move on. But it was hard for the eldest girl, especially after her sister was picked for the reaping of the games.

Layla was sure she was as good as dead.

But Lucy Gray had survived, all thanks to her mentor and lover, Coriolanus Snow.

In fact, it was thanks to Coriolanus that Layla had met a certain Capitol boy, who had been sent to her district to train to be a peacekeeper. Sejanus Plinth was a kind boy. He was originally from district 2 before moving to the Capitol, and he wanted a better world than the cruelties of the games. It was difficult for Layla to shy away from his charms.

They had met at The Hobb after Lucy Gray's first performance since winning the Hunger Games, and Sejanus couldn't help but stare at the girl with the flute, who played with such grace and eloquence. She wasn't playing for the crowd, but herself.

But alas, their romance was short and sweet. Because Sejanus' plan for them to run away together had all come crashing down thanks to the Snow boy and his JabberJay.

He was hanged for his crimes. And it left Layla all alone. But she knew she had to continue with his plan, because once she had figured out it was Coriolanus behind it, she knew he would come for her next.

"I'm leaving, Lucy Gray," Layla Blue argued, throwing her things in the small bag she owned. They stood in their cottage in the field, the rest of the Covey not far. "It's not safe in 12. Not after Coriolanus put a target on our backs."

"It's not his fault," her younger sister pleaded. "He was protecting me—"

"He was protecting himself," she bellowed, as if afraid he could hear. "He is selfish. And he doesn't care about you. And I— I think he had something to do with Sejanus."

"Layla!" Lucy Gray stopped her, her eyes widened in shock and disbelief. How could her sister say that?! "You know nothing! I'm sorry about Sejanus, but it's not Coriolanus' fault!"

The older sister paused, the tears in her eyes threatening to spill as she finished packing, stepping closer to the girl. "I'm pregnant, Lucy Gray. The father is dead, and I can't stay here. You should come with me, we can go together. But I won't allow him to come."

"Layla—"

"It's me or him."

The younger sister stopped, a look of sadness etched upon her face as she didn't respond. Layla just sighed, wiping away her fallen tears.

"I'm leaving soon, I will be at the hanging tree and if you're not there in an hour I'll know your answer."

That was the last time Layla Blue Baird ever seen her sister. She traveled alone in the wild, for six long months before reaching district 10. There she had gave birth to Ophelia Baird, a bright girl who learned all of her mother's songs and dances and all of her stories of Lucy Gray and the covey.

Then, Coriolanus Snow was President of Panem, and Layla grew fearful. Suddenly there was no trace of Lucy Gray Baird, or the 10th Hunger Games. Suddenly nobody knew of the girl who had sung in the arena.