Cities With Superheroes Aren't Safer

Start from the beginning

"So they had some sort of relationship before Calamity died?" Taurrage asks.

"He—" Razzmatazz takes a deep breath. "He was obsessed with Calamity. That's all I could tell."

The car lapses into silence again as the group contemplates the new information. Jay pinches the bridge of his nose, trying to stave off the migraine brewing. His ears stopped ringing, but his body still remembers the unearthly blast of energy that shook him to his core. It was horrifying to think that Stygian has the same destructive potential. It makes Jay love him a little more to know that he's never used it.

However, this news does complicate things with Alphaman. Jay had already been nervous about facing off with a competent S-Class super. But knowing that Alphaman was off his rocker makes things even more complicated. How would they be able to predict his next move if he's insane?

Thankfully, the crunch of gravel interrupts Jay's spiral into further insanity. They've made it back to the farmhouse alive, thank God.

Jay steps out as the car comes to a halt. He comes around the side to help with Frame—

"Shit!" he cries, dodging to the side just in time to avoid hooves the size of dinner plates thundering toward him. Texas kneels to yank Taurrage out from the car, hugging him tight.

"Good God, I saw the explosion. Baby, fuck you, don't do that to me!"

"I'm fine," Taurrage squeaks.

"By the grace of God! Lord, oh lord. Thank you, thank you. Jesus."

"I'm fine too," Razzmatazz proclaims as she exits from the other side, Frame in her arms.

"Is the doctor here still?" Jay asks.

"She's in the living room. She just finished," says Texas.

"Razz, will you get Frame checked out before we release the doctor? I need to check on Stygian."

"Got it."

Jay rushes inside, not sparing the doctor a glance as he strides past her and into Stygian's room. Just before he enters, he hesitates. He knocks quietly. "It's Jay. Are you awake?"

"Yes," a soft voice answers.

Jay pushes the door open. Gannet sits up in bed, wearing the pillowy comforter like a hood.

"You're back."

"I am. Gannet, I'm sorry. I didn't want to leave you."

Gannet stays silent. His eyes look raw, like he's been crying.

"Gannet? I'm sorry. Are you mad?"

"No."

"Are you okay? Did it go okay?"

Gannet nods, sniffing.

"What's wrong then?"

"When I woke up you were gone. She wasn't done and none of the other medicines worked."

"Oh, oh shit. Gannet—"

"It was just like it was when I was trapped with Zenith. He'd refuse to talk to me so I was always alone with the pain and—and—"

Gannet buries his face into Jay's shoulder, shoulders heaving. Jay holds him tight.

So it was confirmed Zenith definitely had a heavy hand in Project Chimera. Interesting.

Gannet's voice comes out muffled. "On my phone they said there was an explosion. They said it was me and you had just left—-I thought you and Razz were dead. I could still feel you, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't stop thinking they would find your body and everyone would think I killed you both."