CHAPTER FIVE

The qilin led her to the cliff side and all the clouds that seemed to have an almost permanent residence. Well, it had only been a few days, but still, her point remained valid as the thick cloud coverage blocked the path down. At first, Rui thought Qilin would transform into a massive beast in front of her, but he caught her attention on a black kite, a sleek and beautiful bird roosting nearby. A moment later, Rui felt energy humming behind her, a sensation that had an eerie, but comforting ebb. She couldn't quite explain it.

Turning to it, the qilin stood in all its radiance, catching her breath as she admired the curls of his mane. A sudden guilt fell over her. "Did I hurt you when I pulled on your hair last time?" she asked innocently.

He canted his head, then responded by approaching and bending a knee for her to get upon his back. Deciding the gesture meant he was okay with her, Rui placed her hands on the smooth azure scales that ridged along his spine. She took a pause, to remind herself she'd never ridden a horse in her life, and riding a qilin seemed a little taboo.

Bracing herself, she pulled herself up like exiting out the side of a pool by laying her belly on his side while her arm struggled to grip around the back. Once she managed to swing her legs over him, the qilin stood upright. How flattering the image was another personal problem. As she clung to the beast with her fingers once again weaving their way into the soft down of his mane.

"Okay, let's go..." she said nervously, engaging her core as if it would replace the seatbelt or saddle, but the thought only made her think how ridiculous that would be in itself. When had she ever seen Asian art disrespecting such grand and awe-inspiring creatures? Even she knew that some jackass basketball player once aired a commercial that depicted killing a dragon, and it provoked public outcry!

[Breathe, silly.] Xinrui said. [You're not saddling him. He's carry you.] The spirit, well-beyond amused, lingered near her. So close, she could almost picture Xinrui petting the neck of Qilin. She watched as he closed his eyes sighing into the touch.

A moment later, his whole body shuddered, and off they raced forward. Rui pressed her face into the mane and held her breath as a massive jump flew them through the clouds. The wind rushed through her hair and instinctively she clutched—full body—as the forced pinned her to the back of the Qilin. It tickled almost, the rushing feeling like the first hill of a roller coaster sent into a glide.

Closing her eyes only intensified the smooth upheavals and downfalls, so she resolved to keep them open. Curiosity tempted her, and looking out over the world, she saw mountains leading toward fields that terraced into the sides. A summer in full bloom with vibrant flowers that were dotted by large rock formations that seemed to defy everything. The heavy mountains changed to heavy forestry and eventually a plain as they whipped through the clouds faster than she could breathe.

Only slowing when the town came into view—rows and rows of thatched houses set apart from the forest and farmland. Vibrant color pallets in hues of ochres, rich violets, and teaming reds seemed to radiate even though the materials of the buildings and structures were primarily wood. Their roofs matched the gravel road, glinting a bright golden sheen.

A wall and a great carved gate pronounced the city's border surrounded by fields and a few rivers that cut through the city itself. She saw large ships harbored at the side of rivers with massive canvas sails and banners that were heavily adorned with flittering ribbons and words she could not read. The Qilin did not approach where she thought but gave her a panoramic view before settling down a little out of the way.

They landed on the side of a hill where, set apart from the other trees, a tree stood adorned with white and red ribbons with parchment. Around its pot belly was tied a white ribbon that seemed so important, but she failed to understand the context. Qilin tilted to the side, and Rui flopped onto the soft underbrush below the canopy. Above, she saw the towering and twisting branches that disrupted the afternoon light into shafts, warming her cool face. Beneath her fingers, the underbrush was soft and patchy, with green purslane breaking through the mulch.