Superheroes Wake Up Early

Start from the beginning

"That doesn't sound too romantic to me."

"Well I didn't love you then, but I had a little crush. I didn't get much interaction outside the staff so I latched onto anything I could."

"Did they make you memorize other vigilantes at the time?"

"No, actually. I thought it was odd too, their explanation was I needed to be prepared to fight anyone, but I didn't really see any way we'd interact as supers. I guess they were right though, we did end up fighting. Not that their training actually helped."

Jay's stomach turns uncomfortably. Why did they put such a focus on him? It doesn't make any sense. Jay pivots to clear his mind. "If you fell in love first, how did Gannet react?"

"Oh he hated your guts. He's so lame! Stop it, stop thinking about him! A hero wouldn't date us!" Stygian mimics in a whiny voice.

"Tough crowd."

"He was going through a lot. We fought a lot. Honestly, I was terrified we'd end up some Jekyll and Hyde freak."

"Do you miss being completely separate people?"

Stygian pauses, frowning. "Sometimes. I don't miss the fear of constantly going too far. Gannet is my self control. My morality. I need him or things would get ugly. Really ugly."

Jay thinks of Alpha, of the raw pain and fear in his eyes. Briefly, he contemplates if Stygian has the potential to cause the same amount of destruction, if pushed to the limit.

No, Jay decides. Stygian wouldn't. The similarities between him and Alpha are surface level.

"I think you should give yourself more credit. Gannet needs you just as much as you need him."

"I don't think so," Stygian's voice dips into a whisper, still raw from yesterday's crying. "As much as I used to want to be my own person, I don't think I could ever...get rid of him. But if I didn't exist, he'd have a normal life. He used to fantasize about it. About getting rid of me."

Jay grimaces, heart constricting in sympathy. "He was wrong, okay? I'm glad you're here. I love you, you know that right? All of you, Stygian."

Pink rises to Stygian's cheeks. "Yes."

"Good. Will you tell Gannet when he wakes up?"

"He'll know."

Jay smiles. He leans over, kissing Stygian's forehead. "Okay. Now let me go. I need to get to Houston for that emergency meeting."

"I'll just kidnap you again."

Jay pushes away, grunting in between laughs. "I can't stay! Stygian, let go!"

Finally, the tight grip eases. Jay stands from the bed. "I'll see you soon."

Stygian smiles, pulling Java into his arms as he snuggles into the pillow.

Jay quickly dresses, fighting off the urge to get back in bed and snuggle the cat too. Before common sense loses the battle, he leaves the RV and piles into the waiting taxi. Lucky for him, Traffic is very light this morning. He makes it just in time to get to his apartment and change into his super suit, right as his phone buzzes. Darius flickers onto his screen.

"Quickwit, good morning. I apologize for the early call, but there is work to be done."

"Good morning, director. Got a mission for me?"

"Not exactly. Have you taken a look at the news?"

"Not yet."

"Stygian has launched a deadly attack against Houston. You are required to meet with the Dawnbreakers to discuss your next moves."