CHAPTER 10

A/N: hello ladies, i keep forgetting i started something. anyways i watched the bridgerton s3 *screams* which hath inspired me to write this. this chapter is just a flashback sozzz but its fun. idk. ill just let u read now bye.

10 years ago

The mirror reflected a girl draped in the milkiest of whites, a feather looming over her silken hair, adorned in jewels that sparkled under the shining sun outside, it's rays illuminating her face the warmest of golds. Ayera Blaic stared at the beauty staring at her back.

"You look resplendent my dear," her mother told the mirror.

Ayera flattened her gown around her torso. "I feel so different," she awed.

"Ayera make haste!" Her father's yelling voice reached her ears.

"Come on love." They both rushed downstairs.

"My darling princess," her father cooed and took his daughter by her arms, a proud smile etching on his face.

"You spoil me papa."

"Necessarily so. You are a marvel my daughter."

She playfully rolled her eyes at the comment.

"Now come along, the carriage awaits us."

The carriage ride to the palace was excruciating. Her feather bobbed against its roof as she pondered over the following events of the day. The whole endeavor of being presented to the Queen like a cattle herd in hopes of securing her favour felt such a vapid and demeaning affair to Ayera but by the rules of good manners, she felt it imperative to be present. Not like she had a choice.

"We have arrived my Lady," the driver declared.

Dread pooled inside Ayera's insides as she scanned the flock amongst which she stood behind two closed colossal doors. As the space grew vacant, her apprehension grew solid. Her very last desire on earth was to be specially noticed by the Queen. Don't flatter yourself, her brain taunted. Ofcourse, she had nothing to worry about. But what if- she, however, was incapable of completing the thought because the very next moment a booming voice reached them.

"Miss Ayera Blaic, presented by her mother, the Honourable Lady Blaic,"

Her mother gently squeezed her hand and offered her a reassuring smile. The doors opened and the eager eyes of the audience fixed upon her. She felt her bones turn her into a statue. Everything clashed inside her head as her eyes moved through the crowd. And then they stopped, on the familiar face of her best friend. All the commotion raging within her mind subsided and she let a soft smile take hold of her face. Anthony's lips were parted in astonishment as he took in the mesmerizing beauty making her way towards the throne.

Benedict elbowed his brother. "Do close your mouth brother lest a fly shall enter it."

Anthony snapped out of his stupor at the remark and cleared his throat.

"She does look beautiful doesn't she?" Benedict asked.

"She looks exquisite," Anthony marvelled. At his brother's teasing grin, he added, "as do the rest." He lied although. To him, no one was worth even comparing to her.

Ayera came to a stop and gave her most graceful bow to the Sovereign who after a moment of deliberate scrutiny, stood up and began descending the stairs. She held her breath in anticipation and glanced upwards.

Oh no, Oh no, Oh no, Oh no, Oh no, Please no-

"Flawless my dear," the Queen kissed her forehead.