CHAPTER 1

13 years ago

13 years ago

The ton stretched before them in brown hues of houses and shops from where they sat beside each other. The pinnacle of the palace shone far away under the moonlight.

"That is nowhere resembling a lion. What did you mix in your milk?" Ayera said laying her head against Anthony's shoulder who sighed an exasperated breath, "You just don't see it."

"No I do see it, I see it for what it is- a bloody star!"

"You're impossible Aze," Anthony muttered.

"Why your sweetness exceeds your reputation, Mister Bridgeton."

She continued after a pause in the conversation, "it does make you wonder though."

"Huh?"

"About the triviality of it all. Reduced to specks of dust in this eternal universe. Whatever we do, whatever we say accounts to nil."

"Talk about yourself. I'm very well aware of the weight of my doings."

"I believe the term you're searching for is ego."

Anthony rolled his eyes in reply pursued by a prolonged yawn. "Well better head back now?" The question morphed into more of a statement.

The oldest son of the Viscount stood up on the roof of the church tower brushing off any dust clinging onto his pants and held his hand to help her up. They swiftly moved their way downwards through the ladder concluding into the church balcony overlooking the altar.

***

Winds tinged with the soft American chill grazed Ayera's face swaying away any bold strands of hair that escaped her bun. She sat on her terrace under the night blanketing her lone figure, reminiscing a fond memory with nostalgia digging its claws until a single tear fell.

"Miss Blaic,"

She turned around to find her personal maid.

An uneasiness clenched her throat as she spoke, "tell the doctor I'm on my way."

The maid concocted her lips in a sympathetic smile before disappearing into the stairwell.

Ayera opened the door to her father's chambers with a hesitant push so unlike her stark character. She heard the coughs and felt the depressing smell of sickness before seeing the pitiable state of the man on the bed. His skin stuck on his skeleton like rotten glue, wrinkling his once handsome face beyond recognition. She neared his bed where the doctor sat, placing her hand on her father's. His hollow eyes fluttered open at the touch.

"Daughter," he croaked as if even to speak caused him great agony.

She smiled at him shutting off any vulnerability that dared to peek through. "I'm here Father."

She closed the door behind her gently after watching her father fall asleep and met with the doctor in the waiting chambers.

"How long does he have?"

"Miss Blaic I-"

"I do not entertain games doctor, tell me how long he has!" Her voice shook unwillingly.

"A month miss Blaic, perhaps even less."

Areya nodded in affirmation with every fibre of her being begging to do the contrary.
"Show the doctor out please," she called to her maids who scurried away to complete the command. "And someone update me about mother's....condition." She struggled to look for the word along with her calm and collected demeanor.