CHAPTER 4

Anthony sat in the living room, chaos engulfing him in the form of his sisters as they ran around the entire house to ready themselves for Lady Danbury's ball

Anthony sat in the living room, chaos engulfing him in the form of his sisters as they ran around the entire house to ready themselves for Lady Danbury's ball. The day's events had unfolded in chaos too. Lady Whistledown had yet again caused more upheaval at the debuting of young ladies at the Majesty's palace, disrupting the announcement for the diamond of the season and in turn relieving Eloise beyond measure.

"We are set brother," Benedict told Anthony.

"Very well then." Anthony stood up and with his family, headed on towards the event of the evening.

11 years ago

Ayera struggled against her mother's grip as she protested about being only 17 or the like from what Anthony could overhear. As a Lord approached her, Anthony pieced together what was happening. Her mother wanted her to practice for what was on her way the next season. Anthony couldn't help the smile that appeared on his face as he saw her miserably pleading.

While Ayera danced and talked with brittle politeness, Lady Danbury approached Anthony. "I hope you're enjoying yourself, Mister Bridgerton."

"Oh thoroughly," Anthony sneered watching Ayera almost trip on her dress.

When her eyes landed on him, he gave her a very excited thumbs-up.

"Please," she mouthed.

Finally feeling sorry for her, he excused himself from Lady Danbury and went up to the dancing pair. She had already bitten his head off talking about the tortures of corsets and gowns made of fabrics oblivious towards the atrocities they inflict on the skin.

"If I may?" He asked the lord currently holding her by the waist and then swooped in his place as the music began to waft throughout the halls.

"Took you long enough," Ayera rolled her eyes.

"Just be grateful I came."

"He was horrible!"

"I would say still better than your dancing. Ow-" Ayera had accidentally stepped on his foot.

"Oops, didn't see your foot there."

And they kept dancing like that, her hand in his, until the music ended.

"Would you like to go somewhere?" Anthony asked.

"Anywhere from here."

And so in the commotion of the music changing and partners being exchanged, they swiftly cut across the crowd to the exit without anyone noticing. Except Edmund.

That night when he returned home after gazing the stars with Ayera, sprawled together on the church's roof, Edmund was waiting for him.

"Father, I didn't know- What are you doing up so late?"

"Where were you?" He asked but his tone was anything spare harsh.

"Oh nothing, just doing nothing, I was um milking the cows."

"Son. At night? And we have servants for this very purpose. Besides we do not possess any cow-you-you drink buffalo milk," Edmund stated bafflingly.

"Really? There wasn't much light in the shed. Must have mistook."

His father rubbed his forehead. And teased, "she will make a perfect Viscountess."

"Pardon?"

A light chuckle slipped Edmund at that.

Anthony realized he couldn't fake his dumbfoundedness. "We aren't like that Father. We are friends, nothing more."

"It doesn't work like that son."

"I assure you Father, we are nothing more."

"Don't assure me, assure yourself Anthony." And with that Edmund retired to his chambers leaving a befuddled Anthony alone in the dimly lit hall.

***

Anthony pushed past the doors to the hall with Benedict, Violet, and a very uncomfortable Eloise with him.

"Stop fussing with your dress," Anthony ordered Eloise.

"I look like a prized calf trussed up for auction," she complained.

And he immediately thpught of Ayera, involuntarily. Oh her trifling rants about women having to wrap themselves up as a desirable object so as to please the male eye. 

Anthony went on to seriously doubt the sanity of his family when Benedict mooed. Though he didn't have to deal with them much longer after Benedict ushered Eloise with him for doing something along the lines of cake tasting.

Violet looped her arm around her son's as she told  him there will surely be someone who will charm him and went as far as to practically shout than declare, "after all, the Visocunt intends to find a wife this season."

Anthony just stared at her in disbelief before whispering exasperatingly, "I cannot believe you just did that."

"Oh but I can," his mother smiled.

It didn't even take a full minute for him to get surrounded by a flock of women eager to have a single dance with him tonight. He began signing dance cards. Until his eyes met a once familiar gaze across the room. His breath hitched and he stayed transfixed for a full moment. Ayera?