Chapter 4

Charlie woke up relieved to be in an empty bed. Alpha was a morning person, so it wasn't that surprising for him to be gone already. He typically liked to go for a morning walk with Brady or leave early for work.

But when Charlie came downstairs he held back a sigh of annoyance when he smelled the aroma of coffee brewing and buttery pancakes.

Why couldn't Alpha get the hint that he was being immoderate by cooking him breakfast.

He bit his lip in guilt thinking that way. He was happy seeing Alpha! Of course, he was... He just imagined starting his morning off with silence.

"Morning~!" Alpha winked pan in hand. Brady marched up to Charlie greeting him as he entered the kitchen. Charlie kneeled down to pet him before walking toward the center of the kitchen.

"H-hey," Charlie sat down at their island table.

"How did you sleep?" Alpha turned around as he plated food pushing it toward Charlie. It was chickpea pancakes sprinkled with fruit and tempeh bacon. Alpha also placed a cup of black coffee down. It was the perfect breakfast. Charlie did appreciate that even though he really planned to stop and get take out.

Charlie looked Alpha up and down, he recognized that he was wearing one of his more expensive suits covered with an apron. It was unusual for him to be cooking in that suit even with a covering.

"Just fine," Charlie laid his chin against his hand. He picked up his fork and played with the berries. Maybe he should have just slept in more to avoid seeing him this morning. He wasn't helping the tension right now between them by acting grouchy. Though even if he tried to stay asleep Alpha probably would have woken him up anyway.

"Me too! I slept amazingly!" Alpha untied the apron and folded it before putting it away.

"Y-you didn't go in early this morning?" Charlie asked hesitantly.

"Oh no. I wanted to catch you before you left this morning." Alpha took the dishes and placed them in the dishwasher before leaning toward him at the table. "I do have to head out in a few minutes though. Going to leave soon as well?"

"Yeah...I t-think there will be less traffic if I head out earlier than later?"

"Probably," Alpha took a sip out of his own coffee. The noticeable silence between them rose again. Charlie didn't understand this... Alpha used to be amazing at filling up the space even if not needed. Charlie wasn't the chatty one at all; it wasn't his job to keep the conversation going. Alpha should know that.

He then looked down at his homemade breakfast, his heart sinking.

He was still blaming Alpha for everything again. Sure, Alpha forgot about this trip. But he did offer to put off work to still make it. He still was willing to get up and cook for Charlie even if it wasn't necessary. Alpha still was acting so kind to him right now, even after he was being such an ass this morning. He didn't even thank Alpha yet for his meal.

He watched sadly as Alpha poured out his drink, placing it into the sink. "Soooo I'm going to get going," Alpha huffed. "Call me later when you get there."

Alpha tapped his hands on Charlie's shoulder as he walked by heading toward the door. Charlie spun around to grab his sleeve.

"Hey, Alpha..." Charlie stammered. "Thank you for cooking for me. I l-love you. I promise we will do something fun together when I get back."

"OF COURSE we will!" Alpha chuckled. "I'm already planning on it! Love you too my love. Have an amazing time and get there safely."

Alpha made his way to the door. At his heels, Brady followed him. Alpha patted him on the head before turning towards Charlie waving and blowing a kiss.