Ch.19: ...The Storm

"You kissed him!?" Aerith exclaimed with glee as the girls sat in their bedroom. Tifa wore a bright smile. "Yeah." "Does mean you guys are now... you know..." Yuffie said, making smooching noises with her lips, causing Tifa to chuckle. "We told each other how we felt, so I'd say yes." Aerith squealed. "I'm so happy for you guys." She hugged Tifa. "Guess the future king found his future queen." Yuffie teased. Tifa blushed even more. "Isn't it to soon to he hearing wedding bells?" Asked Aerith. "Not like I haven't thought about it." Tifa admitted.

As the girls stayed up gossiping, the guys were already fast asleep. Y/n shared a bed with Nanaki, who slept near the foot of the bed. Cloud, Barret, and Nanaki were snoring, taking full advantage of the comfortable beds. Y/n, however, kept tossing and turning. He kept waking throughout the night with the same reoccurring dream.

Could it be a premonition? An omen? A glimpse into the future that's to come? Y/n sat up and took a drink from his glass of water. Nanaki's ear perked up and he awoke, turning to Y/n who sighed. "Trouble sleeping your majesty?" "Yeah. I keep having this dream... or rather nightmare." "I'm all ears if you wanna talk." Y/n smiled at Nanaki in appreciation. "Thank you." Y/n cleared his throat as Nanaki sat up to listen. "In this dream, I'm all alone fighting waves upon waves of Niflheim soldiers. I'm doing everything I can to fight them, but they just keep coming and coming. Then, out of nowhere, my powers just stop working. I have to use Niflheim's rifles to fight them off and by the end of the dream, I see myself running towards Pryna, another one of Luna's messengers, dead. But before I can get to her, the world below me collapses and I'm falling down a pit. That's when I wake up." "Hmmm." Nanaki thought. "Could it be that perhaps you're afraid that you might have to endure challenging obstacles by yourself? And this obstacles can have dire consequences?" "I don't know. It has to be much deeper than that, right?" "I suppose. Dreams are a complexity that are connected to our future, past, desires, and fears, be they good dreams or bad. If this dream could be a sign of what's to come, just know, Prince Y/n, that you are not alone in confronting the future. I can say, without a doubt, that we'd all stand by your side." Y/n smiled and placed his hand on Nanaki's head. "Thank you, Nanaki." "Hm." He nodded. "I suggest you try and go back to sleep with that assurance." "You're right." Y/n laid back down. "Goodnight Nanaki." "Goodnight, your majesty."

The following morning the girls were sitting the restaurant area enjoying their breakfast. Barret and Cloud soon joined the three and began to have a light hearted chat. Their attention was turned towards the gasps and murmurs of the fellow patrons. "That's impossible! The king cannot be dead!" Cried a man with a newspaper article in his hands. "But the treaty?" Argued a woman. "It can't be." Tifa and Yuffie walked over to the couple. "Excuse me, what's this about a king?" The man wiped his tears and handed Tifa the newspaper. Yuffie's eyes widened as she read the headline. "Insomnia Falls." Aerith and Cloud gasped. "What!?" Barret exclaimed as he joined the two girls and looked down at the article. "As treaty room temperatures flared, blasts lit the night sky." Read Tifa. "When the smoke about the citadel cleared, the king was found dead." "We have to tell Y/n." Aerith said.

As if on cue, Y/n and Nanaki exited the room and joined the others. "Good morning all." Greeted Nanaki. Y/n looked at his friends' gloom expressions. "Why the long faces?" He asked. Barret took the newspaper from Tifa and handed it to Y/n. His e/c eyes read the headline and he gasped. "WHAT!? T-This can't be right." His voice shook with both anger and shock. "It's in all the papers." Yuffie informed as she flipped through a newspaper rack. "Lies." Y/n said through gritted teeth. "Can't believe it until I see it for myself." Y/n began to make his way over to the Regalia with his friends following close behind.