The Girl on the Hill

*EARLY UPDATE! SO, make sure you have read the last chapter, "The Boy that Helps"*

The city seems to rise from the shimmering water in a mass of steel peaks and brick pyramids, trying to touch the clouds, but not quite succeeding. Almost like a dream do the buildings rise from the haze of the water to the night sky above.

Cheshire is a labyrinth of ancient streets and alleys that twist and turn to reveal the less glamorous parts of the city. The homeless in the alleys, huddling to keep warm in the cold night. The dark secrets hidden between every corner store and coffee shop. The hustle and bustle of the business men that cheat on their wives and income taxes on their routes home.

Cheshire is ripe with life and history; thriving and pulsating on its inhabitants that lock themselves away during the day, only to come crawling out of the shadows after nightfall.

The windows in every building slowly begin to light up like fireflies against the twilight sky and the visible stars shine down onto the streets with the moonlight, providing an eerie glow to the metropolis.

I watch the city come alive form the top of a grassy hill overlooking all most all of Cheshire. But, I can't help but focus my attention on Layla as she stares out into the city with wonder in her eyes.

"I found this place after the first time my mum was diagnosed. Just drove around for hours until I came by this hill and was able to see the entire city. Now I come up here whenever I'm having a bad day... I thought... I don't know. I thought you should see this after your day today –thought it might remind you of home, of New York... It's stupid isn't it?" I ramble, suddenly nervous of her reaction.

She finally moves from her spot to mindlessly walk over to me, never taking her eyes off of the city below. She plops down next to me and leans against the bark of the tree, our shoulders brushing.

"No... No, this is... wow," I tear my eyes away from the scenery to lock gazes with her, a small smile on her lips, "Thank you, Harry."

A matching grin curves onto my lips before I look back to the hustle and bustle of the streets below. The incident earlier today was forgotten as soon as we climbed to the top and set our eyes on the city we've chosen as our home.

Everything seems so miniscule compared to it.

"Really makes you feel small, doesn't it?"

Her voice is barely a whisper, carried away by the wind, but our proximity allows me to catch the words with a groan.

I reach into my pea coat and her jaw drops when she sees me pull out a silver flask from the inside pocket, "We are going to need a bit of alcohol if we are contemplating our existence."

"You just carry that around with you?"

She shoots me an incredulous grin and I really want to pinch her cheeks, "You never know when life will call for a bit of rum."

She snorts loudly, but takes the flask from my hand and gingerly takes a sip. I'm surprised at her eagerness to drink considering her aversion to it not so long ago, but I allow her after the day she's had.

The reminder of her outburst makes my heart sink and I try to push the images of her body curled into a ball, shaking, out of my mind. But, I have a feeling they will be there for a while. I watch as she takes another sip, this time much larger, and doesn't even wince when it slides down her throat.

"Easy killer." I laugh, though I am serious, yanking the flask from her grip and helping myself to the liquor.

We sit like that for a while –our eyes trained on the lively city below, passing back and forth the alcohol to warm our veins, our knees and shoulders brushing against each other every few minutes, and stealing glances when we think the other isn't looking.