II.

Chapter two:
Violet and the duke.

Lady whistledown:
Dearest readers, It is I again, lady whistledown here, to inform you of the story of my lovely friend Violet lim.

despite violet not being so in love she wanted to make her mother and father happy.
She knew in order to do that she'd have to get closer to the Duke and it was one of the things she did not want to do but sometimes making your parents happy means sacrificing a bit of your happiness. She was, however, truly thankful for the experience after all, it did bring her a lot of happiness in the end but that part of the story is for next time as of now, Violet is trying to get closer to the Duke charm the Duke, and hopefully win him over for marriage.

- Yours truly lady whistledown.

As Violet was walking down the stairs she peaked over and noticed the duke painting what appears to be a woman with big bosoms and a graceful body.

Violets cheeks turned red as she tried to walk back up the stairs but she then ended up knocking the vase down which made a noise and alerted the duke. He turned around and saw her standing there.

She smiled awkwardly and waved. "Hi.."

He looked at her with curiosity in his eyes wondering if she was spying on him. "Are you..watching me?" He asked staring at her.

"No I would never do such a thing! I just happened to come down and saw that you were well..painting this.." she said gesturing with her hands pointing to his painting..which made things even more awkward.

He laughed and pointed to his painting as well. "Oh this? Are you flustered by a piece of art madam?"

"You're just so different now...."

"I've matured now. I am not the little boy I use to be anymore. I mean we are adults now..aren't we?" The duke said looking over at Violet with a short smile.

"..well I mean your grace has become an adult now I still have some months yet to become 18.." Violet replied bowing and smiling at him.

"Don't worry it'll come in due time..and it's just art. No need to be flustered about such things. I assure you this is a hobby of mine and it pays a lot if you must know. Anyone would die to buy a piece from the duke himself you know?" The duke said winking at her in a playful way .

"I suppose so—well then..how long have you been doing such art?" Violet asked staring at the duke.

"Well. For years now. It's really a method for me to feel better when I'm unwell..it started as a hobby..I enjoyed it..then I used it to feel better..if I was down about certain things.." the duke replied opening up a bit with Violet.

"Well I think it's good you have something to lean on your grace." She said smiling and staring at his work.

"Thank you and may I ask if I will be seeing you at tonight's ball?" The duke asked Violet.

"There's going to be a ball tonight?"

"Yes..lady Danbury is hosting tonight's first ball of the season and some of the most wealthiest and famous family in town are coming to the ball. Most woman are to be there so they can find suitors..they must find the perfect match
And be wedded by the end of the season..it is quite a challenge for some..I know your family is going to attend though..your family are to find you as husband as well yes?"

Violet nodded. "Well...it's not much of my thing to attend balls and things like that..and I am not really looking for a husband at the moment but yes my family..has been wanting that for me."

"You do not wish to have a husband? How come?" the duke had been curious because almost every noble lady in the town had been excited to find a husband and yet she did not have the same mindset of being excited to wed instead she was okay with being alone.

"It is very simple. I am not ready to be caught up with a love affair..besides, I like to think I should have more time to focus on all of that—because it is not like I am 18 years of age yet! I am 17 and I should have a little bit of freedom before deciding to marry!"

The duke nodded and smiled. "Yes I do suppose you should have some freedom until you are ready for marriage it seems as you are not prepared but..I hope that one day when you'll be..hopefully I'll see you at the ball?"

Violet smiled and waved. "Maybe your grace we will see to it!" She said walking away.

The duke admired her passion and liked the fact that she wasn't like those other women—who rushed things. He took a liking to her and he was in fact kind of starting to be interested in lady Violet.