Chapter 11: Guns and Blame

Kiara’s POV:

          Holly, Harry, and I were sitting in the waiting room of the hospital, waiting to hear word on Niall’s condition.

          “It’s all my fault,” I said, tears slipping down my cheeks. Holly got up from where she was sitting next to Harry and sat next to me, pulling me in for a hug.

          “It’s not your fault Ki,” she whispered, trying to calm me down, “You couldn’t have known it would happen.”

          I still couldn’t help but believe that it was my fault. If I hadn’t come here, he wouldn’t have followed us, he wouldn’t have found us, and more importantly, he wouldn’t have shot Niall.

          The door banged open and I looked up to see the others coming through the door.

          “Guys,” Harry called softly to them, letting them know we were behind them.

          “What happened?” Louis asked, “All Paul said was that Niall had been attacked. Where is he?” Holly and Harry glanced at me and I took a shaky breath, trying to calm myself enough to explain.

          “Well…”

          Holly, Harry, Niall, and I had reached the nearest McDonald’s, ordered our meals, and were eating.

          We were just talking and having a good time when I saw the one person who could turn everything into a nightmare.

          “N-Ni…” I tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to look at me, furrowing his eyebrows when he saw my fright.

          “What’s wrong Ki?” he asked. I pointed over to him. How did he find us here? Did he follow us?

          When Niall caught sight of him, his fists clenched.

          “Do you want to leave?” he asked, “We can leave right now and get away from him.” I nodded. Niall quickly explained what was happening to Holly and Harry and we were soon standing up and heading towards the exit, the others leading the way.

          I took one step forward, but a hand immediately grabbed my shoulder and I felt a cold, hard object pressed into my back.

          “Where do you think you’re going?” Aaron growled. I whimpered and having heard me, the others turned around.

          “Let her go Aaron,” Niall growled, drawing people’s attention. I could almost see Aaron’s smirk growing.

          “Now, why would I do that?” Aaron said, “I let her slip through my fingers once, I’m not about to do it again.”

          “I’m warning you Aaron,” Niall said, “If you don’t let her go…”

          “You’ll what?” Aaron interrupted him. The pressure was released off of my back as Aaron waved his arm. Holly and Harry’s eyes widened when they saw the object in his hand and people around us started screaming, “QUIET!” Aaron yelled, shooting a gun into the air. I then felt the cold metal of the gun press against my temple, “If anyone tries anything… she dies.” I closed my eyes and felt tears slide down my cheeks.

          “Niall…” I whimpered, scared to death. Aaron started backing away, leading me with him. I had to do something… I couldn’t let him take me… I couldn’t… I’d be risking my life, but I had to get rid of my fear of Aaron if I was going to make it out of here alive.

          I took a deep breath and kicked back at Aaron, hitting his shin, making him let go of me. I stumbled forward, Niall catching me as I did. We didn’t have time to do anything else before Aaron was back up again.

          Niall glanced up at him and pushed me behind him as fast as he could before there was a gunshot. People screamed, Holly and Harry rushed forward, and I turned around.

          Niall slumped down to the ground, blood soaking the front of his shirt.

          The boys were silent as I finished explaining.

          “He’s in surgery now,” I finished.

          “Where did the bullet hit him?” Liam asked as they all came to sit down around us.

          “Shoulder,” I said. Everyone was quiet. I looked down and took another shaky breath.

          “It is my fault,” I said quietly.

          “Don’t say that,” Valerie said, walking over to me and sitting on my other side, “There’s no way we could have known this was going to happen. Don’t blame yourself.” I felt another wave of tears begin to fall. Valerie and Holly both hugged me, and Val hummed a soft song and I let myself calm down.

          “I guess all we have to do now is wait…” Zayn said.

          I drifted off to sleep