Intermission 1- Kneel Low With Honour

Half a year later

"Your tea, Master Togami," Aloysius said, handing the man his tea with a bow.

Kijo took it, his cold eyes scanning the servant before giving him an empty smile.

"Thank you. Try to be faster next time, though. The tea is almost cold," He commanded, the empty smile slipping from his face. He knew Aloysius had a reason, of course. The man was never late without a reason.

"Yes, Master Togami," The servant obediently began, his eyes focused on the floor. "I had to break up a fight between the children on the way here."

Kijo sighed, "Again?" He frowned. "It was between the lower ranking ones, I hope?"

Aloysius didn't respond immediately. Something that Kijo knew to be a bad sign.

"Not exactly... Young Master Ichiro, one of the lower ranking ones, was insulting Young Master Byakuya, the number two, once again..." He explained, daring to look up.

Kijo tutted, "Does he just not learn? I'll have his library privileges removed for the week. The second highest ranking should not be disturbed by that."

"Yes, Master Togami," The servant began, and Kijo could sense something hesitant in his voice. "...Do you think I should keep an extra eye on Young Master Byakuya?"

"Hm..." Kijo looked thoughtful for a moment. "It does seem like the other candidates tend to bother him a lot..."

"I think it would be a shame if his... usefulness were to go to waste because of that, Master Togami," Aloysius continued, a glance in his eyes that Kijo didn't recognise.

"I don't pay you to think," Kijo said harshly, and he saw how the butler froze at that. "But... You have a point. He has the potential to become heir."

Aloysius' eyes widened ever so slightly. "You... think so, Master Togami?" He questioned.

The business man looked down at his papers and nodded, "I do. He's exceptionally smart for his age... and what few flaws he has could be easily put down due to his age too."

Aloysius didn't respond. He must've sensed that Kijo wasn't done talking yet.

Such a wonderful servant.

Kijo looked through his drawers until he found the folder he was looking for. It contained all of the information he had on the candidates. He then flipped to the very end, where the youngest candidates' page was.

"He has scored perfectly on every test and his teachers say he acts like he should- prideful and formal. A bit hesitant at times, but that will be very easy to change. He's only eleven after all. I can adjust his personality as needed," Kijo explained, his gaze focused on the folder in front of him.

Aloysius smiled at his master. "That's quite the advantage, sir."

Kijo hummed in response, flipping the page. "For him, yes. Of course, if he wasn't a genius, it would've meant nothing."

"But he is," Aloysius responded promptly.

"But he is," Kijo repeated, his gaze meeting the servant. "You may leave now. Tell the other servants that... the one who bothered Byakuya- whatever their name is- may not enter the library for the week and keep an eye on Byakuya yourself."

The butler bowed, "Of course, Master Togami." And with that, he left.

Kijo took a sip from the tea, his gaze lowering to the folder again. It included his own notes as well. Of course he hadn't interacted with the candidate much, but they did have a conversation together- he'd done that with all of them- around half a year ago.

Byakuya wasn't the only one that had stood out to him, of course. It would be a shame if only one Togami was exceptional. No. One of the triplets stood out to him too- she was in first place after all.

But she was too dependant on her sisters. She- he didn't remember her name. The only reason he knew Byakuya's was because of Aloysius mentioning him- had actually asked him if her sisters could stay if she became heir.

It was a wonder she stayed in first place, really.

Then there was one of the older ones. He was low ranking, though the boy didn't know that. He was a brute. One of the bad apples.

He would make sure he was dealt with once he was no longer a candidate.

The rest of them were just average. Nothing too good and nothing too bad. Sure, a few of them had the potential to become a perfect heir, but that would take a lot of effort.

Effort that wasn't needed with the number two. The youngest one. Kijo could use the boy's early age to his advantage and mold him into the perfect heir he was owed.

If he had enough potential, of course.

Though, that didn't seem to be too big of a problem. Unless his other candidates were concerned.

He hadn't told Aloysius that since the other man simple didn't need to know that, but it was the truth. He'd remembered once he saw his notes.

A hurt wrist. Most likely sprained. And most likely the work of one of the other contestants. A quick questioning of a servant confirmed that- the boy often got into trouble with the older candidates.

Kijo hadn't interfered with that, of course. He had better things to do that involve himself with such low life things. But as the end of the competition neared, he began punishing the contestants if they fought amongst one another.

At that point, it was just getting tiring. It distracted them from their learnings. He didn't want to get a lower quality heir because of the idiocy of the lower ranking contestants.

Things had calmed down after that, though the youngest candidate was still getting disturbed by some of the older ones. But the physical side did go down. He was improving.

That was a good development, but there was still the question if it would remain that way. There was half a year left until the final stage of the competition began.

And then Kijo would get his perfect heir.

He'd also get rid of some of the more undesirable candidates to do the world a favour.