17

I stood outside the building and started to rethink this whole thing. Jasper was quite the convincing guy. 

"You made it! I was starting to think Jasper really had lost it when he said you were coming. I thought we scared you off." Alex's laughing voice pulled me from my thoughts. The smile lighting her face instantly cleared any doubts I was having. 

"Fortunately for you, I don't scare that easily." An easy smile spread across my face and I wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

She leaned against me, wrapping her own arm around my shoulders as we walked towards the doors. The flashing lights were visible even through the tint. We stepped inside and I was jolted by the noise. Laughter filled the building, groups of people milling around. I was glad I had decided to come. The cheerful vibe was infectious. 

"Lilly! Glad you came! I think they would've finally had me committed if you didn't show." Jasper's familiar voice reached me moments before he did. He snatched me out of Alex's grasp and ignored the pout that pulled her lips down. He pulled me in for a hug, his body warm and firm against mine. 

"It's still up for debate. We'll find a different reason sooner or later." A smile tugged at my lips as I fist-bumped Jake. I'd never realized how much I enjoyed the easy banter between all of them. 

There was only one person left to greet and I steeled myself and turned towards Jay.

"Hi, Jay. It's good to see you." 

The group went quiet around us and an uneasy silence settled around us. For a moment I thought he would ignore me, and I began to bristle at the thought. I was trying for fucks sake. He could at least-

"Hi, Lilly. Glad you could come."

I froze. That was it? No taunting? No snide comments. I watched a look pass between Jasper and Jay and realization dawned on me. I guess Jasper had to Jay to remain on his best behavior, and judging by the look on Jay's face he did not appreciate it. 

"Well, there's only a few groups ahead of us. We should probably split into teams. I want Lilly on my team." Jasper's arm came around my shoulder and he pulled me into his side. 

"No fair!" Alex pouted. "I wanted her on mine." 

I smiled. "Next time it'll be just me and you, sweets." 

Her cheeks tinged red and she looked away. I saw Jay huff out of the corner of my eye but thankfully he kept silent.

                                                                                            *****

I stepped up next to Jasper as we entered into the dark room, small fixtures in the ceiling barely giving us enough light to see around us. There was a bunch of vests and laser guns thrown around on the floor. It was Jasper and me against Alex and Jay. Apparently, Jake had only come for the arcade and the VR.  He claimed he had no interest in laser tag, and would entertain himself with the girls at the arcade. That left Alex and Jay to pair up since Jasper had already claimed me.

We put the gear on as a loud voice came over the speakers explaining the game and the rules. 

"We stick together and stay low. We cannot lose to them. They will rub it in our faces for the rest of eternity." Jasper's voice was deadly serious, but the lights flashing off his teeth gave away his smile. 

A loud buzz sounded and Jasper pulled me into the laser tag arena. It was almost pitch black, save for the periodic sweep of colored lights. It almost reminded me of a club. 

"Okay, let's go!" 

I immediately lost him in the darkness.  How were we supposed to stick together in this? I had no clue where he'd gone. 

My vest suddenly lit up, surprising me. A giggle sounded to my left and I realized Alex must've shot me while I was stumbling around blindly in the dark looking for Jasper.  Fuck. I spun around in a circle trying to get her back, but it was too dark to see anything. I saw a flashing red light appear to my right, accompanied by Jasper cursing and Alex giggling. I headed that way. 

A hand wrapped around my arm and pulled me back into the darkness, my back softly pressing against a wall.  I blindly aimed my gun and shot. A red light lit the corner up briefly, just long enough to show Jay's face. Of course.

"Can I help you?" My voice was a whisper as I pulled my arm out of his hand. Why the fuck was I whispering?

"I need to talk to you." 

"Really? Right here and now? It can't wait?"

"I don't want to risk you avoiding me."

I sighed and accepted it. he was right, I would've avoided being alone with him. "Okay. What is it? And why are we whispering?"

"You started it," he spoke at a normal volume. "I just wanted to apologize. I was being a dick. I shouldn't have called you out like that last time. I guess I just don't understand why you keep blocking me out."

I was glad I couldn't see his face. I didn't want to see what was written there. A red light lit the space between us.

"Seriously, Lilly? I'm trying to talk to you." 

"Sorry, I panicked." he huffed out a laugh and stepped back.

"Will you answer me now?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I don't have an answer for you."

"Then can we agree to be civil? To be friends?"

"Yea. I can do that."

A buzzer went off and the lights came back on. By the time my vision had adjusted Jay was already walking away.