Is The Truth Cheap? - Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Falling over the victim could be an accident, but what were the intentions behind the neck grabbing?" She asked, looking at the jury as she continued daringly, "which we all know is a technique he's very familiar with."

After her statement, which I considered my first knockdown, she sat down. My lawyer got closer and whispered in my ear, "Focus on what we talked about before entering the room."

Without letting anyone breathe, the prosecution called for their first witness —the policeman who let Dave enter at his own risk to assist and mediate with me. 

I started to think about what the first question would be. How would he start this terrible and embarrassing story? Would anybody there realize that some of the events will be unknown to me too? I settled in, ready to withstand the truth as the prosecution's lawyer asked the witness to recount the events of that Tuesday afternoon. This, obviously after he swore to say the truth, and nothing but the truth. My hands started to sweat just thinking about what I would answer when my turn to swear in came. I thought: will saying "I will speak my truth" be enough?

The witness's chair was not yet warm, and I had already learned that I never went to any store. According to him, who by the way introduced himself as Officer MRose, a mall security guard called the police station notifying that an intruder had entered the mall. In the call, it was indicated that the stranger walked no more than 50 steps and then stood still without moving anything but his head, which moved strangely in all directions, with a weird pattern. MRose then said that I was in the same position when they arrived 5 to 8 minutes later and that it wasn't until they tried to contact me through auto-speaker that I began to move my body and hands violently.

For me, personally, it was curious that those actions were enough for them (the police) to call the incident a possible civil terrorist attack. Fortunately for me, although sadly for him, my therapist was passing by the mall when the police were giving me the final warning; threatening me with retaliation. He had offered himself to assist at his own risk, saying that he knew me, that he was my therapist, and that I was no threat to society.

Since this was a case with substantial evidence, due to the judge's demands the witness was asked to narrate the mall's security footage. This, minutes after the judge asked Dave's daughters to move out from the courtroom due to the sensitive nature of the images. I didn't think I was capable of doing such a horrible thing. How did I snap so quickly from just standing there to waking up that killer instinct? What provoked me, apart from what I know, to attack him even though he was only waving at me? Dave's wife started crying while watching the footage. I couldn't hold back my tears anymore.

Needless to say, just a few minutes into this, the case had to be adjourned because of Dave's wife's inconsolable sorrow. Seconds after the adjourn notice, I was taken down by two of the sheriffs as I had stood up trying to make eye contact with her. They must have thought I stood to attack her as she passed by to leave the courtroom. For me, it was a detrimental event because after they picked me up from the ground, the members of the jury had what I could see in their looks as the realization of what Dave's lawyer had said earlier "A technique he's very familiar with."

It's not like I want to be free, but you should know how important a first impression is and how difficult it will be for me from this point on to convince everyone that I didn't try to kill that innocent man, an innocent and caring friend. The remorse was killing me; can you feel how selfish I felt when I thought I needed to let off steam, knowing that at that crucial moment, she didn't have her soulmate to do so?

On the way to my cell, the jail guards were pushing me around, telling me how disrespectful my actions were and how impatient were they for me to be with the rest of the jail population. One of them even said as they were walking away, "I will advocate that they deprive you of everything. Soon you will not have paper or pencil to write and communicate with the outside world. Soon you will also sleep the coldest night of your life. What a woman abuser really deserves, don't think us in here don't know your full story."

I didn't even complain; in my mind, I deserve this and much more. I just deeply desire that this letter and the rest of the story reach your hands. I need someone to know the truth; someone who has the tools or the facts to speak for us who experience and see life through a different prism.

P.S.

I tried to close my eyes and have a short nap — 3 to 4 hours which is my norm in here— and I couldn't sleep since I started to hear footsteps. You can think that this would be normal in a place full of people, but these footsteps sound different —intermittent. Sometimes the sound stops for 30 or 40 seconds before starting again with greater impetus. Feels like someone is lost or hasn't found what they're looking for. The structure of the hallway didn't help, it amplified the sounds; I couldn't even tell if the footsteps were getting closer or not.

In a raised tone I asked: "Who is there?" The footsteps intensified and at that moment I realized that they were approaching at a rapid pace. Suddenly, a door was heard opening, causing whatever it was to stop. Then the steps began to fade —I could tell it started to sound like it was running away.

Evidently, someone was approaching me... it must have been one of those jailers who wanted to take justice into their own hands. I am strong, especially if I have to accept or endure what I deserve. If something mysterious happens to me, don't let them link it as a case of suicide.

If I die, and he survives tell him that he was right... but it was too late for me to understand.

.  .  .  .  .

I'm doing my best to sort the letters and the content for them to align better with the court hearings. —Jessica