9. The Dilemma

.

As Celia and Carla stepped into class on the first day of their sixth year, a familiar aura caught Celia off guard, and her eyes lifted to find Taze seated in his usual corner.

She froze in her tracks as he beamed at her, and her heart skipped a beat.

'Taze!' She thought, her breath escaping in a soft whisper.

She had tried to erase Taze from her mind over the years, convincing herself that worrying about him was futile.

'There's nothing I can do!' She'd repeat whenever thoughts of him crept in. But now, as their eyes locked, a lump formed in her throat, and her heart swelled to twice its size!

Taze's smile faltered for a moment, and he looked almost... watery-eyed?

~"Are you going to keep standing and looking at me?"~ Taze asked through telepathy.

His voice was now low and deep, sending shivers down her spine, and her cheeks flushed as she remembered to move, hurrying to her seat.

Carla was quick to notice, and she didn't hesitate! ~"Okayyy, this is new!"~ She telepathically teased, settling somewhere close to the front. ~"There's a gentleman in Luxia who can make you freeze?!"~

Celia shot her a warning look, her face burning. ~"Shut it!"~ She replied, hastily settling at her own obscure seat and trying to compose herself.

Her mind whirled with unanswered questions, and the unsettling realization that 'Out-of-Sight' hadn't meant 'Out-of-Mind' when it came to Taze... Despite his long absence, that pleasant, fluttery feeling around him had intensified!

And worse, now that she was older, she could identify the feeling...

'I'm attracted to him!' This was the same way she had felt around Vitav, but a hundred times more potent!

What she felt around Vitav was a mere trickle compared to the tidal wave of emotions she was now feeling!

'Wasn't Vitav supposed to be the "Lead" in my life's story?!' But no, she couldn't even picture Vitav in that light anymore.

In fact, if Vitav tried to kiss her now, she might just slap him, whereas with Taze...

She blushed a deep crimson and slapped her hands to her cheeks, as if to scold herself for such improper thoughts!

'Wake up! He's a member of the Royal family!' She reminded herself.

She was supposed to avoid Vitav, but getting involved with Taze would put her right in Vitav's line of sight, so she needed to avoid Taze as well!

But a few days later, Celia realized that ignoring a sixteen-year-old Taze was like trying to resist a gravitational pull!

He had grown several inches taller, his physique now a perfect blend of lean and built, making him a magnet for the ladies. Those piercing green eyes, framed by luscious dark lashes, and his wavy black hair cascading down his shoulders, attracted most of the Academy's females, and pink-scented letters constantly dusted Taze's desk, with declarations of undying love and marriage proposals!

"Which family is the Nowen family?" wondered one Lady.

"I've never heard of them, but I'm marrying Taze, even if they're paupers!" Another piped in.

"In your dreams!" protested yet another. "Your father is a Palace Mage! He'd never let you marry a low-born!" She folded her arms. "I on the other hand..."

"Not if I can help it!!"

And on it went...

Celia would shake her head at the absurdity, but then catch herself stealing glances at Taze or imagining what it would be like to run her fingers through his hair...