Chapter 23 - Anastasia (2)

July 16, 1918, 23:00

The assault began.

"The intruders are breaking in!"

Ruslan's unit first breached the eastern gate, then detonated explosives to break into the main entrance.

The building where the family was confined, the Ipatiev House, was a large structure with nearly 100 rooms. However, thanks to information from an informant, they had knowledge of the family's bedrooms and the layout of the building.

"Are these White Army fellows? This is bad. Execute them immediately! Transfer the family to the basement!"

Yurovsky, the head of the Ipatiev House, ordered the transfer of the family to the basement for execution. While it would have been permissible to execute each family member in their own rooms, doing so sequentially might alert other family members who could attempt to escape. Moreover, the execution plan explicitly stated to transfer them to the basement for execution. The plan devised by the party was absolute.

"Nicholas! Wake up and evacuate to the basement immediately! Your family too! Radicals are shouting 'Kill the Tsar!' and storming in. It would not be good if any of you die before the trial."

With those words, the Tsar's family was transferred to the basement.

Amidst the gunfire, Ruslan's unit managed to advance to a point about 10 meters from the main entrance. According to prior information, there were 25 personnel guarding the mansion at night. With 19 members, they were somewhat sufficient in numbers for the assault, but considering the escape of the imperial family, they felt uneasy. They didn't want to incur losses at this stage, but hesitating might result in the execution being carried out.

While contemplating this, they saw Tsar Nicholas II, his family, and Anastasia, who dedicated all her loyalty, walking towards the staircase leading to the basement at the far end of the corridor. However, due to the distance of more than 20 meters and the intense gunfire, their voices did not reach them.

"Nine members of the 2nd Imperial Guard, follow me! Secure the basement. The 1st, provide support! And hold this position! We must bring the imperial family back!"

Ruslan led the subordinates in the assault.

"RAAAAAHHHH!!"

They charged forward with a fierce roar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is everyone here? Then, line up against the wall."

In the basement, Yurovsky gave orders to the Romanovs, their maids, and servants, totaling eleven people.

"What is this? What does this mean?" Nicholas II questioned Yurovsky suspiciously. However, Yurovsky didn't respond and aimed his pistol at them, followed by his six men to the rest of the family.

"STOP! Not the children!" Nicholas II's wife, Empress Alexandra, shouted, shielding her youngest children, Alexei and Anastasia.

At the same time, Yurovsky and his men simultaneously pulled the triggers.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

The executioners fired all their gunshots and then paused to assess the situation. It appeared that Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra had been fatally shot in the head or face.

"Mama! MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

The eldest daughter, Olga, and the second daughter, Tatiana, were severely injured but still alive, crying out as they dragged themselves towards their mother's corpse. The third daughter, Maria, despite being shot in the leg, managed to stand up and stagger forward.