Chapter 8 - First, Improve the Environment

June 1907

Sōryū Takashiro, Age 6

My father's name is Ryūtarō Takashiro, a technical officer working at the Army's Tokyo Arsenal in Koishikawa. He is 40 years old, holding the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. The Takashiro family originally hailed from a daimyō (feudal lord) in the Chūbu region and was granted the title of Baron. Although they were a small-scale daimyō, they held the baronial title.

During the Russo-Japanese War from 1904 to the following year, although Ryūtarō did not go to the frontlines, he practically lived at the factory, dedicated to the production management of rifles and shells.

After the end of the Russo-Japanese War, the time spent with the family increased, and the emaciated appearance resembling a skeleton had returned to a healthy "middle-aged" figure.

During this time, Ryūtarō made it a daily routine to read technical books he had purchased after work at home. Since most technical books of this era were written in English, German, or French, Ryūtarō was also keen on mastering foreign languages.

Additionally, there was a large drafting board at home, mainly used for drawing diagrams of field guns and towed artillery.

"Father, there's something I'd like to request," I addressed my father in a formal tone. "I, too, would like to aim to become a technical officer like you. For that, I'd like you to buy a drafting board for me."

He wanted to turn his knowledge into diagrams as quickly as possible. Even in this era, there were things that could be done with knowledge. He planned to draw diagrams, hand them over to his father, and have them put into practical use in the Army.

"Oh, so you want to aim to become a technical officer like me! I'm delighted. I'll arrange for the drafting board right away."

"Thank you, Father. Also, there's something I need to apologize to you for."

"What is it? Did you do something?"

"Yes. While you were at work, I read your books without permission."

"W-what!?"

Ryūtarō panicked. His child had looked at his books. Among the books he owned, the only ones that a child might find interesting were probably 'shunga' (erotic arts of that time). He had hidden them so cleverly, so why were they discovered?

"W-wawawawawawawait, wait, wait, Sōryū. D-d-did you tell Umeko about this?"

"No, I haven't told Mother. I couldn't resist my curiosity and ended up reading your precious engineering books."

"Eh, engineering books... I see. You surprised me. Well, did you become interested because they contain diagrams of machines? Is that why you want a drafting board?"

"Yes. Also, um, I've read all the books you have, so could you please buy me new engineering books?"

"Hmm? But can you already read kanji? Moreover, most of those books over there are likely in foreign languages. What does it mean that you've read them all?"

"Yes. There was a dictionary, so I looked up everything while reading."

"Even books in French and German?"

"Yes, I've finished reading them all."

In reality, he could read English, French, German, Russian, and Chinese at a native level. There was no need for him to read engineering books at the level of that time. However, he diligently read them to emphasize his genius and make his ideas and preferences more readily accepted.

"Really? If that's true, then this child might be an unparalleled genius."

A week later, a drafting board, rulers, and drafting pencils arrived at the Takashiro household.

The first thing we tackled was the design of a "drafter" for the drafting board. At the time, drafting boards were simply large boards with T-square rulers and the like for placing paper. Although it was sufficient for drawing, in 1953, when Mutoh introduced a drafting board with an arm-style ruler, drawing efficiency improved, and its configuration became the standard.

"Father, this is the first drawing I've made. Could you make this with your skills?"

"This is... interesting. You've designed a tool to make drawing easier."

The drawing, following the rules of the Meiji period, referenced the books Ryūtarō had. The sliding and movable parts were specified with precision down to 0,01 mm to ensure accurate and smooth operation. Ryūtarō immediately understood that it was a drawing of a "tool for drawing."

"As expected of you, Father. Your insight is remarkable. Seeing you drawing, I thought that with this auxiliary tool, the work could progress even more smoothly."

"Interesting. Let's make it right away."

Two weeks later, a prototype of the drafter was completed. It was designed with ample rigidity to prevent errors when drawing.

Ryūtarō used the prototype to draw a drawing immediately.

"Amazing! This tool is incredible! Drawing is so much faster than before! However, to think of such a tool just by watching my drawing work, my child is truly fearsome."

This auxiliary tool, known as the "Type 40 articulated drafting ruler," quickly spread to the Army and Navy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, hey, what blueprint are you drawing?" Liliel asked with great curiosity.

"Well, you know, I think I'll start with something that can be made with today's industrial capabilities in Japan and improve people's lives, don't you think?"

"Oh, really? Not weapons or something? I thought you'd draw the blueprint for a nuclear warhead or something."

"Don't call me a mad scientist. Besides, even if I draw something like that, we can't make it at all with today's industrial capabilities."

"Ah! Then, make this! My 1/8 scale figure!"

"With T-square and cloud-shaped rulers? Denied, denied."

Since it would be too unnatural for a 6-year-old to draw blueprints for a small, high-performance engine, for now, the child drew diagrams for tools that would make daily life more convenient. He handed these drawings to his father. However, secretly, he also began drawing blueprints for weapons that must be put into practical use in the future.