Chapter 21 - Nikolayevsk Incident (5)

The Japanese forces, despite suffering some losses, managed to successfully defend Nikolayevsk. There was no artillery fire from the Chinese warships as they feared, and they maintained neutrality until the end.

Major General Arima handed over captured individuals, including Yakov, to the White Army.

"We are grateful for the assistance of the Japanese army. With this, Nikolayevsk should be safe for a while."

"However, Colonel Medvedev, once the ice on the Amur River melts, we will return to our country with the residents. What are your plans after that? There is also information that Vladivostok has surrendered to the Red Army. Since our Japanese army maintains a position of non-intervention in your civil war, I believe support will be difficult."

Arima worried about the defense of Nikolayevsk after the Japanese army withdrew.

"Yes, indeed. If the Red Army attacks again, we probably won't be able to hold out. Plus, there's no supply. I've heard there are locals in the city waiting for the arrival of the Red Army. Commander Kolchak has also been captured by the Red Army, so I think it's about time. When it gets warmer, shall we flee somewhere?"

"Is that so? Also, the reconnaissance unit has collected evidence of looting and massacres committed by the Red Army in nearby villages. Although they are enemy soldiers, I express concerns about executing them without trial."

"Major General Arima, I appreciate your consideration."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Yakov, do you have any rebuttal to this evidence?"

A military trial is held in the town hall. Of course, it's merely a formality. There are no defense attorneys.

"Hmph, you're just going to execute us anyway, aren't you? We were welcomed in the village we arrived at. They said your White Army took all the food and left them in trouble. So what do you think they said? 'We have nothing to eat, please give us food.' They didn't resist and gave food to your White Army, then asked us for help. So, I gave them the verdict. It's death for cooperating with the White Army. Just like this trial! It's a farce."

"Is that all you have to say?"

"And do you know what your Japanese troops were doing? They were burning down villages and massacring everyone. How can you get along with such people?"

At that time, Japan had dispatched 37.000 troops to Siberia to protect friendly nationals and soldiers who had become prisoners of revolutionary forces, as well as Japanese residents. However, the local expeditionary forces expanded their occupation territories in defiance of agreements with the Allied powers (such as the United States and Britain), leading to clashes with the Red Army. Although the General Staff Headquarters issued orders (including from Deputy Chief of Staff Fukuda) to avoid conflicts with the Red Army and exercise restraint, there were units on the ground that ignored these orders and attacked the Red Army and cooperating villages. On the other hand, they rescued Polish people (including children) left in Siberian camps and facilitated their return to their homeland.

"So what? It's probably a village of Red Army sympathizers, right? In that case, let's give them all the same verdict. Death for everyone."

Death sentences were pronounced and immediately carried out on all 221 captured Red Army partisans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Doctor, how is the old man we're talking about?"

Lieutenant Arima came to inquire about the condition of an old man named Rubanov, who was shot by the Red Army.

"He's still breathing, but honestly, I think it's difficult."

"I see. Thank you for your efforts. And how about the girl?"

"The girl is not in serious condition. We've disinfected and bandaged her wounds. Besides those, there was a gunshot wound on her left arm, probably received within the last one to two years. Since there were no signs of proper treatment, she probably couldn't go to the hospital. By the way, this belongs to the old man. I can't read Russian, so I don't know what it says..."

It was a sealed envelope with a double-headed eagle emblem. At that time, the only person who could use the double-headed eagle in Russia was Tsar Nicholas II.

Lieutenant Arima cautiously took out the letter inside and unfolded it. His hands were trembling with nervousness.

"Doctor, has anyone else been informed about this letter?"

"No, Lieutenant Arima, you are the first."

"I see. I will hand this letter to Major General Arima for judgment. It contains very important information, so please do not disclose it to anyone. Also, I will ensure the girl does not escape by keeping her under surveillance."