Chapter 7 | Song of the Dead

After a few more crazy dances, the music and energy in the castle softens into a serene rhythm. Morq gets us something to drink and sits out the next song. Despite the film of sweat starting to saturate my shirt, I'm still too buzzed to stay seated. Spotting Haveri sitting alone watching Ytaia and her friends dance, I walk up to her and offer my hand. She bites her lip and glances from me to the dancing bodies.

"Da'te," I say, "I swear I won't try to kiss you. You're... not my type."

With a giggle, she shakes her head and takes my hand. Her intense heat seeps through her gloves. With a small grimace, she lowers her gaze and whispers so low I don't hear her, but she apologizes so often I don't need to. Louder she says, "I'm trying to stay calm. There's jus' so many people 'ere. More than I expected. I shouldn't be 'ere, but..."

"The queen," I finish, and she whispers, "Daou—Sai."

Most guardians, especially the ones in Riallora, are granted by the queen. Haveri came from very far to get help with her powers, and the queen took pity on her and gave her Ytaia. Queen Eril didn't stop there. After having her mind examined by telepaths and neurohealers, the queen found her gift for digital ops, something Haveri had taken up as a coping mechanism. However, the queen has had faith all along that Haveri will become an important asset of the military, and in turn, the monarchy as a whole. Haveri felt she had no option but to accept, but I know—maybe better than anyone else—that the queen's expectations only add to the stress of it all.

"Where's Ytaia?" I ask, looking over my shoulder at the now empty table.

She sighs. "She say she'd be back. Nie sha..."

I offer her a smile and my other hand. "She'll be back," I assure her. She nods and gives me her other hand, which I place on my shoulder. Unlike Morq, Haveri is actually closer to my height. "By the way, last time I danced with a girl, it was the princess, and she was cold in every sense of the word."

Haveri laughs at the irony and her shoulders loosen up. She allows herself to sway to the music and her poofy white-and-red skirt ruffles with our steps. Although the music is a bit more upbeat than our steps, I let Haveri find her own pace, her steps unsure and cautious. She lets me spin her around and Ytaia squeals not far from us. Haveri perks up at the sound, relief flashing in her eyes as she seems to spot her over my shoulder.

My vision flashes white again, and I shake my head to clear the static. "Told you," I say to her.

She's about to say something but stops herself and averts her gaze.

My vision blurs to white, and I hear Morq in my head say, She wanted to hug you and thank you for being her friend, but then she felt she would sound pathetic. The castle fades back into focus. "I'm grateful for you being my friend too, Haveri."

Her eyes widen. "How—" Then she groans. "Tha's cheating."

"Blame Morq," I tell her. She frowns at that but I don't elaborate further.

"Sem-Marrok," a voice says behind me. We turn to look at Vram as he gives us a slight bow. "Would you mind if I take the next one?"

She shakes her head and beams up at me. "Gragati, Anlor." With that, she wanders back over to the table where Ytaia is now sitting again. She claps at Haveri and babbles something about being right about the dress.

I arch an eyebrow at Vram. "Won't your amaitte be jealous?" I joke.

He frowns. "Amai—oh, Luozaun?" He laughs. "Nie," he says. "What about yours, hm?"

I glance from one side to the other. "I have no idea where he went." Vram points somewhere over my shoulder and I look over to where Morq is joining Ytaia and Haveri. He sets his drinks down and waves at me, a smile on his face. He sits and rolls up his deep red-violet sleeves slightly as he chatters with the girls. "Pu'o, he seems fine to me... Guado-Ma'istis."