The begining

*News playing on the tv* - "a boy by the name of Ken Kaneki has been reportedly missing for months, but mysteriously, not long after his sudden disappearance a new ghoul came to light in the 20th ward. He is known as 'Eyepatch'. If you see him call the Doves instantly!"

"A new ghoul huh? Interesting!" I said enthusiastically, "you and your obsession with these ghouls really worries me, your going to get yourself hurt or dead one day y/n" my mother said worryingly. I get why she's worried but can't help but think they aren't as bad as people say. I turned round and smiled at her "I'll be fine, don't worry! Anyways I'm heading out, bye!"

I was meeting my friend at my favourite coffee shop, Anteiku. That's where I do all my studying about ghouls, I couldn't do it at home as it would upset my mother. I arrived before my friend, set up my computer and began researching and writing, when Touka came over to take my order. "Ghouls again huh? What's your interest with them, you know their evil right?" She said after glancing at my work. "I disagree. I mean sure some of them could be evil but if you think about it they aren't much different from us!"
I replied.

She sat down across from me interested by what I had said, "you don't think they are all bad?", "Not at all! I mean they are still living beings with feelings and a need to eat to survive, so do humans, we eat animals to survive. and, you get some pretty evil humans too" I replied. She looked at me stunned then smiled. "There's not a lot of people out there like you, best be careful you might get yourself caught up in something. anyway what can I get you?"

Finally my friend Lisa arrives. "Heyyy, any cute boys come in today?" She said excitedly, "hmmm, just one..." I said still focused on my writing. "where?!" She asked on the edge of her seat, "that new guy, the one over there behind the counter". She looks over at the counter to spot him "seriously? That nerdy looking guy with a weird eyepatch on his face? I mean your a massive nerd too so I guess yous would be cute!" I thought about what she just said "eyepatch" could it be? No. It's probably just a coincidence.

I found myself wanting to know more about that guy behind the counter, not only because I liked him but because maybe, it is possible, he could be the ghoul from the news... before I had the chance to reply to Lisa she was gone, Was I that lost in thought I didn't even notice her getting up? I looked around the shop to see her talking to the guy at the counter, suddenly they started walking towards me.

"Y/n this is Ken Kaneki, Ken Kaneki this is y/n" said Lisa . "Hello, it's nice to meet you y/n" he said in a soft tone. Suddenly my whole face went red "h-hello, nice to meet you too" what the hell was that?! Why did I stutter, ugh! I'm such an idiot! "So Mr Ken do you have a phone number? My friend y/n here has thought you were cute since you started working here. What do you say? Wanna go out on a date with her?" Ken looked shocked but smiled "sure, I'd love that" he said while writing his number down on a napkin. Wait? Did she say his name was Ken kaneki?! Like the guy on the news?

Later that day he called me asking me to dinner and I agreed. It went well but I couldn't help but notice he didn't eat a lot. "Not hungry?" I asked, "oh, uh, no, we get to eat whatever's left at the shop" he said "oh okay" I replied with a smile. He seemed like a really good guy, very shy and very smart. At the end of our date he walked me home talking about his favourite author and book. As we got to my front door he wished me goodnight and headed home. I later messaged him thanking him again for today and he replied thanking me as well.

The next day when I went to Anteiku he wasn't there, I wasn't worried, I mean it could be his day off, right? When the waitress from last time came to take my order I asked her if he was okay, "Kaneki has a day off today, don't worry!" She said with a reassuring smile, I took a sigh of relief "did you two have fun last night?" She asked, I looked up at her confused "huh, how did you know?", " here at Anteiku we are like a family we tell each-other everything" she said and I smiled at her "that's lovely, Touka". She now looked at me with a warm smile, "yeah, but they do annoy the hell out of me some times", "I can imagine" she let out a soft giggle "I'm glad I have you as a friend y/n" I smiled at her and thanked her for being so kind to me. Then something caught my eye.