Ch.18: The Calm Before...

Start from the beginning

"Guess we play the waitin' game now." Said Barret as they returned to the others. Yuffie groaned. "Never liked that game." "Let's see what they have inside the Mini-Mart." Tifa suggested as the girls entered the shop. "What's Ebony?" Yuffie asked as she picked up a black can. "Looks like an energy drink." Aerith informed. "Not sure you'd need something like that." Yuffie pouted as she placed the can back onto the shelf.

Y/n and the others entered the Crow's Nest Diner where the waiter behind the bar greeted them. "Welcome. What can I do ya for?" "Can I get a glass a water?" Barret asked as he took a seat on the bar stool. "Course. Anything for you fellas?" "Nothing for me." Replied Cloud. "I'll take a water too, please." Said Y/n. "Right on it." Nanaki scowled as the waiter ignored him. "Just realized somethin.'" Began Barret. "How the hell are we gonna pay for the work? We blew through all of our money sailin' here." "Shit." Cloud cursed. "I guess we should let Cindy know before they get too far into it." Said Y/n.

The guys headed back to the garage where they saw the girls eating some snacks they purchased underneath a table that blocked the sun with an umbrella. "You guys wouldn't happen to have money on you, would you?" Cloud asked. "Not much, why?" Aerith pondered. "We're flat broke." Responded Y/n. "Need to talk to Cindy about it."

"Talk to me 'bout what?" Cindy asked as she walked out of the garage. "We're kinda low on funds, know a way would gather up some?" Asked Y/n. Cindy smiled. "Oh, now I get it. This must be what Paw-Paw meant when he said he was gonna teach that boy a lesson. Told me he oughta have y'all take care of some ornery varmits that've been causin' a ruckus 'round here. I'd be happy to square the bill for y'all if your up to tye challenge. How 'bout it?" "We'll do it." "Alright then. People said they spotted the varmits wanderin' that area of there." Cindy pointed at a broken pillar standing in the desert area across the road from them. The two exchanged phone numbers before they set out.

"Old man's got your work cut out for ya, doesn't he?" Barret said to Y/n as they began to head towards the pillar. "Nothing he can't handle, right? Sih sah!" Yuffie encouraged as she punched the air. "Wonder what kind of pests they are." Tifa thought. "Beats me." Aerith shrugged.

Nearing the pillar, they saw a horde of four legged creatures with long snouts hanging down.

"Ew." Yuffie complained as the readied themselves for a confrontation. The creatures known as Sabertusks howled, sensing that something was nearby. They turned their heads towards the party and began to snarl before charging. "Here the come!" Announced Barret as he began to fire. Aerith took out her staff and fired two blasts of magic that knocked one down. Y/n and Cloud drew their blades and slashed two down respectively. Tifa kicked a Sabertusk as it pounced before slamming it away with her shoulder. Yuffie threw her shuriken and cut one down and Nanaki finished the last Sabertusk by tackling it and biting it's throat. "Done and done." Said Nanaki.

Y/n's phone began to ring. "Howdy, prince." Greeted Cindy. "Listen, just got a call from a fella named David, apparently he's held down in a shack nearby and needs rescuin.' Mind helpin' em out?" "We're on it." Replied Y/n as he hung up the phone. "Was that Cindy?" Tifa asked. "Yeah. She asked if we can help someone trapped by a horde of Sabertusks." "Then what are waitin' for?" Barret questioned. "Know where he is?" "She said he was in an old shack." "Like that one?" Cloud pointed at an old, run down shack down the road.