Chapter 16

KETLIN

Like Adam had said, I spent four more days in that house, with Sam. But it felt like I was alone. Sam didn't talk much and was mostly minding his own business. A few times he tried to comfort me, but mainly he left me alone, as this was what I wanted. I was always like a zombie. I sat on my bed or in the kitchen, but I didn't eat much. Once I went walking by the lake, but this was the last time.

In fifth day's morning I woke up very early, like always. I didn't see any dreams that night. And after I had woken, I couldn't get back to sleep anymore. So I again just sat on my bed. About 10 am I heard a knock at my door.

"Are you up?" Sam asked.

"Yeah."

"If you're ready, we can go."

I warily stood up. "I'm coming."

I dressed up and put myself ready, to look a bit better when I get back home. In the kitchen I forced myself to eat more than one sandwich. Then I went to living room, where Sam waited for me.

"Are you ready now?" he asked and reached his hand towards me, where he was holding something.

I nodded and accepted the item. It was my necklace. I looked at it shortly and then put it on. I could see in Sam's eyes, that he wanted to help me somehow, but there was nothing he could do. Then we went to garage. The car that Adam had taken was now returned by police.

We drove off, back towards my small hometown. Sam didn't ask me the way, but somehow he knew where to go. Adam probably had told him the right way. Neither of us said anything, even the radio didn't play. I just stared out of the window, not exactly seeing anything.

I lost the track of time, but at some point I noticed familiar houses. We were in my town. Finally I started to think of my mother. Now I can show her I'm fine. This cheered me up a bit.

Sam pulled over in front of our house. I was about to open the door.

"Ketlin," Sam said. I looked at him.

"Remember, what ever happens, don't lose hope. You have to carry on with your life. At least for your mother." I know he mean that, if Adam won't show up.

I nodded. "Thanks," I said and stepped out of the car. Sam drove off. At the corner of my eye I saw our living room's curtain move. I didn't even manage to make three more steps towards the house, when the door opened and mum ran out.

"Ketlin," she yelled through her tears and hugged me so tight that I almost couldn't breath. When she finally let go, I saw my granny at the doorway.

"Hey mum. And granny," I greeted them with a smile. Then granny also came to me. But she smiled only then when she noticed my necklace. It excluded the possibility that I was now a deemotay. Then granny hugged me too.

"Are you OK?" mum asked, tears still in her eyes.

I nodded. "I'm fine."

"What were you thinking? I thought they might kill you."

Adam had told me about the phone call he got, when he left behind Sam's car. "Adam wouldn't have broken his promise. He told I'll be back," I told them. "And he would never had killed me."

Mum sighed. "They kidnapped you. And I don't know much about those creatures, but while you were gone, I've heard some really frightening stories about them."

I rolled my eyes. "They didn't kidnap me. I agreed to go with."

Mum wanted to say something, but remained silent at this point. "Oh, I'm still happy you're back," she then said and hugged me again.

"I'm also happy to see you."

We went inside, and because I hadn't eaten much lately, my stomach began to growl. And when mum insisted me to eat and didn't leave me alone with it, I decided to finally eat. I heard my granny calling someone, but I didn't hear what she said. After a while I went to my room, to rest.

Someone knocked at my door. "May I come in?" granny asked.

"Sure."

She came in and sat on a chair behind my desk, when I was sitting on my bed, facing her.

A while she just looked at me, and probably was thinking of what to say. "I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but... Why did you go with him?"

I had a feeling she was afraid if I will be mad at her. But I wasn't. "I couldn't let them kill Adam."

"But you know how dangerous they are."

"Adam isn't dangerous. He's different. He doesn't kill humans."

She looked in my eyes, and she was a bit confused. "What do you mean?"

"He only takes energy from animals," I answered.

"Interesting," she mumbled. "I didn't know they could do that."

"They can. And I've seen him do it."

She frowned her eyebrow. "He showed you how he kills?"

"No... Well, a wild hog attacked us," I said. "Which means he has saved my life twice."

"What was the first time then?"

"Um, another deemotay wanted my energy..."

"Another? You mean the other one who our people detected?"

I nodded. "Probably."

Granny sighed. "Ketlin, was her name Lucy?"

I nodded cautiously.

"Our investigators established, that about three hundred years ago in London lived Adam and Lucy Langdon. They disappeared about in same age that Adam is at the moment. And their father was found dead later. Killed by a deemotay."

"And so?"

"Lucy and Adam are siblings. If they were here together and Lucy tried to kill you, then you still were in danger. Specially when you left your necklace here. It got lost a while after, and I can see you're wearing it now."

I sighed. "I didn't even see Lucy that often. Adam got her promise not to hurt me. And she didn't, even if she had the change."

Now she didn't say anything for a short while. Then she opened her mouth again. "You're not in love with Adam, are you?" she asked quietly.

I looked at her, but didn't say anything. She didn't really need my answer anyway. It was already obvious.

I heard steps coming towards my room. The door was opened. My aunt and some other guy who I didn't know came in. And they came towards me.