Chapter 6

KETLIN

Fastly, my hand slipped into my purse. I grabbed the small plastic bag and tore it open, throwing the powder at the blond girl in front of me. At first she didn't do anything about it. That was till she understood what that was. With a light scream she pounced back, but the powder still hit her. Just before falling she managed to hit my neck with her sharp nails. I heard a snap and felt a light pain on my neck.

With panic, my hand searched for the stake in my purse. In the corner of my eye I saw the girl making a new attempt to attack me. But sudden fast movement confused me, as I didn't understand anymore, what was going on around me. I found the stake and tried to defend myself. Blindly I felt hitting something. The movement stopped. I raised my eyes, just to feel a strong shiver as I saw Adam standing just few steps away from me, right shoulder covered with blood. He was leaning against a tree to hold his balance, meanwhile I saw his wound heal. And it healed fast! Adam was looking directly into my eyes.

I noticed blood on the tip of the stake that was in my hand. Just now I understood that I held it ready for next hit. This material probably made him weaker, as granny had said. And Adam was close enaugh for me to strike.

I was in a shock, I felt ill. My hand was shivering. Recommended through the heart, had granny said. But I just stood there. I couldn't do it.

Again I heard a snap, when my necklace fell of. Blond girl had damaged it before. That necklace had been the only thing that could really protect me, as I couldn't use the stake. I felt even more ill. My hand fell down and I retreated. But my legs were weak and also shivering, so I fell to my knees. Why can't I do it? Should I scream for help? Granny told me that this stone would make them powerless only for a while. Could I flee and take Sara with me? Was she even alive?

I noticed Adam move. His shoulder was healed.

"Adam!" yelled the girl angrily. "You must kill her! She almost killed you. And thanks to you maybe even me!" Just now I saw that the girl was tied to a tree, holding her back from escaping, or attacking. The powder was also still on her.

"I'd happily stab it through your heart myself," said Adam, sounding very serious. Then he looked at me and Sara. I was still on my knees, shivering all over and waiting for whatever he was going to do.

"Ketlin?" he asked gently.

I raised my head to look into his grey eyes.

Then he turned to Sara. "She must be taken to the hospital. Can you carry her?" he asked me.

He confused me, but I limped next to Sara. The stake was still in my hand. I wiped it clean on the ground and put it back to my purse. Then, in hope of getting away, I tried to grab Sara onto my arms. The need for escape gave me some strength.

My sense of direction was completely out of place, but I tried to go the same way where I had come. Soon I saw the trail, by which we came with the car. It was completely quiet and empty, except one single dark-blue car that was parked on the side of the road. I recognized it immediately. It belonged to Adam.

I tried to understand, which way should I go. I was also tired. And plus the weight of Sara, I had to rest. So I fell to my knees again. Then I heard someone getting closer which made me flinch.

"I'll take Sara to the hospital. I think you should come with," said Adam, who now stood only a few meters from me, crossing his arms.

I tried to get up fast, which was pretty hard. After a short silence, I whispered: "How can I trust you?"

Slowly he stepped closer, making me back down a little. He reached out his arm, where he held my necklace, holding his fingers as far from the small heart as possible. Slowly and hesitatingly I grabbed the necklace, then backed down fast again.