Chapter 13

KETLIN

"You still don't want to go back?" Adam asked after a short silence moment.

"It happened long ago. It doesn't matter anymore. And why do you now want me to go? You took me here cause otherwise they could get to you."

"I'm not completely sure if my theory works, about losing my control. I don't want to make that mistake again. We just have to do so the killers will leave us alone or think we're dead. Then you'll go home and they can't use you against me." I noticed he wasn't as calm as usually anymore. He was worried about me.

"You two deal with your problems. I'll be back soon," said Lucy and vanished.

"They can't use me against you? What would they do with me then?" I frowned my eyebrow.

"Use truth serum, to make you say out anything you know about us. Take your blood sample to track me down with special radar. It might sound as magic, but they can do it. And they will keep you near them as long as there still is a change to get us."

"Wait..." I was confused. "Even against my will?"

Adam nodded.

"My granny wouldn't let it happen," I protested.

"Killers don't care about family relationships. You can be anyone to them, they'll still do it."

Now I stayed silent. Adam's plan was to first confuse them and then just leave? And leave me behind? But I...

"Pack your things, we're leaving," Lucy said, suddenly popping out again. "Ketlin's phone call had been tracked."

"What?" I was startled. My granny did that?

"Yeah, you heard it. Now hurry up."

Adam was immediately besides me. "Can you stand up?" he asked.

I tried, but started to lose my balance, so I grabbed his arms.

"Hurry now. You don't have much time," Lucy said.

Before I could make even one step, Adam took me in his arms and carried me again. He took me to his car and put me to passenger seat. Then he got behind the wheel and drove off. I looked behind and saw, how the lights inside the house were turned off.

Even though it was very dark already, I noticed that the house was completely surrounded by trees. For a long while we went by a small road between the woods. Adam didn't even turn on the lights of his car, but I hoped that he himself can see where he's driving.

When I finally saw the highway, Adam looked at me. "Is your seat belt on?"

"Yes," I answered. Then Adam stepped on gas, incrasing the car's speed clearly. I got a bit scared, that maybe we'll hit another car when entering out from the woods.

When we got to the highway, he didn't slow down. Sharp turn almost took my breath away. Then he increased the speed even more, crossing the speed limit. And as I was afraid, there was a car coming behind the corner. And we nearly hit it. The driver was startled and stepped on brakes. But just after a short moment, it's driver hit the gas, coming after us. Then I saw some other cars pulled over next to the road. They also now took part of the chase.

It all seemed like in some movie, not real. I was even scared to look at Adam's speedometer. I took a deep breath and clang to my seat.

He drove out from town and soon the followers started to stay behind. Really, I also wouldn't be crazy enough to chase a car like this. But Adam still didn't slow down.

"What if police sees us?" I asked.

"Police already knows," he said. And it made me even more nervous. I'm in a car that is driving at night in who knows how high speed, lights aren't on and police will be after us any moment.

Suddenly he slowed down and turned on a gravel road. After a short while I started noticing small houses. Adam pulled over and we finally got out. Now I could walk again luckily.

I followed him to one of the houses. Adam knocked on the door, which was then opened by an old man, who smiled when seeing us.

"Adam? Is that you? I haven't seen you in... I can't remember how long."

"Sam," Adam greeted him. "I actually need some help."

"Of course. Just tell me."

So it was, that I stayed with Sam. Sam gave Adam his car, with which he left. He vanished with the car, by the way. I don't know where or how far he went with it, but he had to drive a long way. He had to make sure people will see this car, heading towards Russian border. He took Sam's car, because if there was anyone who saw his car coming here, they would think the reason was to leave this one behind and steal another, to win some time.

If Adam's car is found in this small village, police will come ask people what they have seen. Sam will let them know about his stolen car and police and killers are led to wrong tracks.

When I asked, what if a neighbour saw us at Sam's door, Adam said that no one did. I'm not sure how he knew it, but I believed him.

It didn't take long, before police showed up at our door. At this time I was quietly at the second floor. After they were gone, Sam told me that police didn't seem to know anything about a missing girl.

From Sam I also learned that killers are listening to police radio, so they don't have to question people. And if Sam's car is found, they can start looking there.

As I understood, Adam had to somehow confuse them, so he couldn't come back immediately. But when talking about Lucy, I don't know where she is or what she is doing. Adam mentioned that she will also confuse the killers, but that's all I know.

I also learned something about Sam. When he was young, he had been really interested in deemotays. His curiosity almost cost him his life, if Adam wouldn't have saved him. Since then they have been friends. Sam was very positive and nice person.

I got my own room at second floor. I had no idea on how long I will have to stay here. Maybe only for this night, maybe for days. They didn't tell me.

Before I got to bed, I turned off my cellphone. I didn't want anyone from home calling me.

When I woke up in the morning, the clock showed eleven. I should be at school. I dressed up and went downstairs and to the kitchen, to make myself some sandwiches.

"Morning," I heard a familiar voice behind me. It was Lucy, leaning against the wall next to doorway. I didn't answer her.

"Your mum is in complete panic about you, you know? It was probably very unthinkable from your aunt to tell her everything," she said indifferently.

Now I stared at her. "Why did she... Wait. How do you know about it?"