Chapter Three

Skyla hurried down the quiet road, her backpack slung over her shoulder as she made her way home from school. The sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, casting long shadows across the pavement as she quickened her pace, eager to reach the safety of her apartment before nightfall.

But as she glanced over her shoulder, her heart skipped a beat at the sight of a white van trailing behind her, its darkened windows sending a shiver down her spine. Panic surged through her as she broke into a run, her footsteps echoing loudly in the empty street as she desperately tried to put distance between herself and her pursuers.

But it was no use. With a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, Skyla realized that she was being followed, that there was nowhere left to run. And before she could react, a shadow loomed over her, a massive figure barreling towards her with the speed and force of a freight train.

Skyla's heart pounded in her chest as she ran faster, her breath coming in ragged gasps as she struggled to keep ahead of her pursuer. But it was futile. With a thunderous crash, the hulking figure caught up to her, his massive arms wrapping around her like a vice as he tackled her to the ground.

Pain exploded through Skyla's body as she hit the pavement with a sickening thud, the force of the impact knocking the wind out of her lungs as she fought to stay conscious. But it was no use. Darkness crept in at the edges of her vision, her world fading to black as she succumbed to the overwhelming darkness of unconsciousness.

And as the white van screeched to a halt beside them, Skyla's limp form was hoisted inside, disappearing into the depths of the vehicle as it sped off into the night, leaving behind nothing but an empty street and the echoing cries of a desperate struggle.

Skyla's eyes fluttered open, her mind still clouded with sleep as she struggled to make sense of her surroundings. Blinking against the harsh glare of the morning light, she slowly sat up, her heart pounding in her chest as she took in her surroundings.

She found herself in a luxurious bedroom, bathed in soft light and adorned with opulent furnishings that spoke of wealth and extravagance. The bed beneath her was large and plush, its pristine white linens a stark contrast to the tangled mess of her own thoughts.

As the fog of sleep began to lift, a wave of panic washed over Skyla, her stomach churning with fear and uncertainty. Where was she? How had she ended up here? And, most importantly, where was her father?

Frantically, she cast her gaze around the room, her eyes falling upon the en-suite bathroom with its gleaming fixtures and marble countertops. The sight only served to deepen her unease, the stark juxtaposition of luxury and captivity sending a chill down her spine.

Drawing in a shaky breath, Skyla forced herself to push aside her fear and focus on the task at hand. She needed to find a way out, to escape this gilded prison before it was too late. With each passing moment, the walls seemed to close in around her, suffocating her with their suffocating opulence.

Skyla's heart raced as she sat up in the plush bed, her breaths coming in shallow gasps. Just as panic threatened to overwhelm her, there came a loud knock at the door, jolting her out of her daze.

Her pulse quickening, Skyla hesitated for a moment before rising to her feet, her legs unsteady beneath her. With trembling hands, she crossed the room to the door, her stomach churning with apprehension.

As she swung the door open, she was met with the imposing figure of The Hulk, his massive frame filling the doorway as he loomed over her with an unreadable expression.

"Get ready for school," he rumbled, his voice a low growl that sent a shiver down Skyla's spine. "Mr. Thatcher wants to meet with you."

Skyla's brows furrowed with confusion at the mention of Mr. Thatcher's name, she'd sworn she'd heard that name before.