Chemo, Football, and the Power of Belief: A Tale of Overcoming Childhood Cancer

The first time I saw John Graden play, it was like being struck by lightning. I was six years old, lying in a dimly lit hospital room as chemotherapy scorched through my chicken-frail body.

The TV in the corner flickered with images of  what seemed like titans in bright uniforms kicking the crap out of each other on the football field. 

"Mom..." I tried to call out, my voice no more than a librarian's whisper. She looked up from her book, eyes droopier than my spirits.

"What is it, honey?"

I nodded toward the screen. "Who's that?"

Mom glanced over and smiled faintly, the lines around her mouth briefly softening. "John Graden, the star quarterback for the San Diego Firebirds. Your dad's hero."

As the cameras zoomed in, I saw a man carved from what had to be steel and determination - Number 18 towering in crimson and gold. He barked out orders with a booming command that his teammates heeded like the little kids in my teacher Mr. Harvey's class.

Then, in one smooth motion of athleticism and precision, he took the snap and launched a perfect spiral skyward. The ball seemed to defy gravity as it arced higher and higher until finally - touchdown! The crowd's roar was the most insanely loud thing I ever heard.

I must have shouted because suddenly Mom was at my bedside. "Try not to get too excited," she soothed, brushing the little bit of hair I still had left. "I'll get the nurse if you need..."

But I shook my head adamantly, unable to tear my eyes away from the screen and that bad-ass number 18. In that electrifying moment, the relentless ache in my bones, the vicious nausea, even the looming shadow of my disease - all faded away. All that existed was the brilliance and power of John Graden.

From that day on, I was obsessed. I watched every Firebirds game intently, staying up far past my bedtime much to my parents' and nurses' dismay. I plastered my bedroom walls with every clipping and poster of Number 18 that I could find. An old bobblehead of him that my dad had won at a game years ago became my new best friend.

While the poisons they pumped into my veins steadily drained my energy and strength, watching Graden masterfully command his team recharged my spirit like a life-giving tonic. His pinpoint accuracy, his unflappable leadership - they became my inspiration to keep fighting. In my loneliest, most horrific moments curled on the bathroom floor, I would clutch that tattered bobblehead  and imagine that John Graden was sending me strength and resilience through the TV, fueling my battle.

My parents struggled to relate to my intensity, but they supported me as best they could. Mom was a fierce advocate, fighting with doctors, nurses, and anyone who stood in the way of my care. 

Dad's coping mechanism was the slow descent into the numbing depths of a bottle as he watched his little boy wither away before his eyes. Their marriage strained under the weight, with hushed arguments and stretches of heavy silence. But they did their best to shield me from the turmoil - all that mattered was cheering on my hero in crimson and gold.

By the time I was nine, I had become a skeletal, sunken-eyed ghost of the vibrant boy I'd once been. The years of treatment had ravaged me, and though the malignant beast had been beaten back, I was running out of time.

That's when Make-A-Wish reached out to my family, asking if I had one final dream they could make come true.

My answer came without a single doubt. "To go to a game. To see John Graden play."

A few weeks later, a limousine arrived to transport my sick-ass to the stadium. Mom came along, her eyes glistening with a mixture of tears and faint hope. Dad stayed behind, with his new best friend, Jack Daniels.

I was overwhelmed by the sheer size of the arena, the deafening roar of the crowds. But I didn't care about any of that. My sole focus was blazing like a lazered spotlight on Mr. Graden

The game itself was a blur, punctuated only by fleeting moments of consciousness as I drifted in and out. But I will never forget the final drive as long as I live. The Firebirds were down by four, time trickling away, when John Graden took the field. With cold determination, he commanded his offense downfield through sheer grit and brilliance, diagnosing the defensive weaknesses like a master tactician.

Then it happened - with a mighty flick of those powerful wrists, he chucked the ball through the air, up and up towards the heavens themselves. The ball seemed to hang there in the sky, taunting gravity. Then a pair of arms shot upwards, outstretched like branches reaching for the sun...TOUCHDOWN!

The stadium exploded into pandemonium as Graden ripped off his helmet, every inch the iconic hero I'd watched on TV. And then he was sprinting towards me. I just about crapped my pants.

He dropped to one knee in front of my wheelchair, sweat-soaked and breathing heavily. Those piercing eyes locked onto mine as he took my hand in his calloused grip. "You're the real warrior here, kid. Your fight...it's inspired me."

In that moment, John Graden's words ignited something primal and unstoppable inside me - a fundamental will to not just go on, but to conquer. I knew with every fiber of my being that I would survive. 

This was merely the turning point of an epic struggle that I was destined to win.

Over a decade later, the charity I founded - Graden's Warriors - has helped connect over 500 terminally ill children with their real-life heroes from the sports world.

 I wanted to give them that same feeling of hope and strength that John Graden gave me that fateful day.

My parents are heroes in their own right too. Mom continues to channel that lioness ferocity into assisting me with  running the foundation's operations.  

As for Dad, seeing how close he came to losing me was the wake-up call that finally freed him from the bottle's stranglehold that it had on him. Now he trots around the country sharing his story of finally sobering up, in hopes of inspiring other families battling not just illness, but addiction.

I haven't seen or spoken to John Graden since that day. But he's still out there on fields and across America - an icon delivering inspiration with every snap. And I'll spend the rest of my days paying forward that extraordinary gift he gave me when I was just a young warrior struggling to for a chance to fight on...no matter the odds.