07. invisibility cloak

As snow cascades gently from the heavens, transforming Hogwarts into a winter wonderland, Hermione makes her way towards the entrance of the Great Hall, her luggage in tow and a warm scarf wrapped snugly around her neck. Amidst the serene scene, the ethereal presence of Hogwarts' resident ghosts fills the air with joyous melodies, their spectral voices harmonizing in celebration of the festive season. "Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas. Ring the Hogwarts bell," they sing, their chorus echoing through the enchanted corridors of the castle, infusing every corner with the spirit of the holiday.

Hermione gazes upon the majestic Christmas tree, its branches adorned with shimmering ornaments, while Professor Flitwick delicately wields his wand to add yet another decoration to its boughs. In the cozy ambiance of the hall, Harry and Ron engage in a spirited game of chess, their minds fully immersed in strategic maneuvers, while Kimberly diligently attends to her academic pursuits as usual. Observing her friends from a distance, Hermione feels a surge of excitement as she decides to join them. "I can't believe it's finally the day!" she exclaims joyfully, her voice resonating with anticipation. Kimberly briefly lifts her gaze from her books, acknowledging Hermione's presence before returning to her studies.

"Knight to E5," Harry declares confidently, orchestrating his next move with precision. As Ron's queen lunges forward, vanquishing Harry's knight with a resounding thud, a mischievous grin spreads across his face. Hermione's eyes widen in disbelief, her shocked expression mirroring her astonishment. "That's totally barbaric," she exclaims, her voice tinged with incredulity at Ron's ruthless tactics. "That's wizard's chess," Ron remarked, casting a glance towards Hermione as he took note of her absence of luggage. "I see you've packed," he observed, his tone carrying a hint of playful banter. Hermione's retort was swift. "See you haven't," she snapped, her words laced with a touch of sarcasm.

Ron's expression softened as he explained the sudden change in plans. "Change of plans," he announced, his voice infused with excitement. "My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother Charlie. He's studying dragons there," he revealed, his eyes alight with anticipation at the prospect of family adventures and the allure of magical creatures.

"Good, you can help Harry, then," Hermione said, directing her attention to Kimberly, who turned to face them. "He and Kimberly are going to search the library for information on Nicholas Flamel." Kimberly furrowed her brows in confusion. "What do you mean Harry and I are going to look for information on Nicholas Flamel? I didn't agree to this. Besides, it's the holidays. I'm not going to waste my time being a spy."

"I agree with her," Harry concurred, nodding in Hermione's direction. Ron snorted dismissively at their comments. "We've looked a hundred times. I don't know if we'll ever find it if we bring Kimberly along to search." Kimberly groaned in frustration and flung her quills at Ron's head, causing him to wince. "You're not helping, Weasley," she admonished. Hermione leaned in closer to the trio, resting her arms on the table. "Not in the restricted section. Happy Christmas," she added before leaving them to their discussion. Ron glanced at Harry, a wry smile forming on his lips. "I think we've had a bad influence on her," he remarked.

"Not me," Kimberly asserted, her voice clear and firm. Ron couldn't help but smirk. "Says someone who keeps on saying bad words," he retorted with a teasing tone. Harry and Ron burst into laughter at their shared joke, while Kimberly simply shook her head, choosing to ignore their banter.

🦅🦅🦅

As Kimberly was roused from her slumber by someone shaking her, she gradually opened her eyes, allowing the slightly dim light from her lamp to come into focus. Her eyes widened in surprise as she beheld Harry standing before her, right in her room. "What the fu—" she began, interrupted mid-sentence by her astonishment.