Chapter 27

IRIS

It was a bittersweet morning helping Jade pack her belongings in the Home Depot boxes Monty had picked up the other day. If friend soulmates were a thing, Jade was mine without a doubt. I don’t think I would have gotten through these years without her and it was bittersweet that we were moving in separate directions. Not that she would stop being my best friend anytime soon, but it would be different not to share this space with her.

“You know you’re still welcome over here whenever, right?”

“I’ll probably want to make sure and knock first. It’s been an interesting few months with you discovering the sexual being that you really are.”

I tossed one of her pillows toward her, but she ducked out of the way at the last moment. “Don’t be crass. We’re not that bad.” She snickered under her breath. “What? It isn’t like Nia hasn’t been around so we weren’t like two crazy teens or anything.”

“Of course, it isn’t like the two of you come out of the bedroom with sex hair after sneaking in a quickie. I must have been imagining seeing his butt cheeks when I forgot my ID badge that one day.”

“That was one time,” I argue.

“One time I walked in on you, but how many times has that guy gotten morning blowjobs from you, Ris?”

I bite my bottom lip to hide the grin I can feel tugging at my lips, “I plead the fifth.”

“Exactly!” She points a finger in my direction, “I remember the girl who was grossed out the first time she learned what oral sex was. The first time you did it you kept your eyes closed the whole time and ended up getting poked in the face with a dick, but now you’re all taking him down while your nails were gripping into his ass cheeks. You’ve come a long way.”

“Can we not have this conversation? It’s awkward on many levels.”

“It is kind of strange to think about, you know?”

“About the fact that you’ve seen my boyfriend without his pants on? Yeah, that’s freaking weird, Jade.”

“No, no, not that. I’m just thinking Maddox was the one who poked you in the face with his dick, but you seem to have avoided any eye injuries with his brother who I’m sure was more gifted in that department.”

“Oh…my…God,” I gasped. “I cannot believe you just said that. You’re out of control, I swear.”

“Whatever,” she waved me off, “I’m your best friend and you’re used to my shit by now.”

“I am,” I sighed and sat down on her bed. “That’s why I’m going to miss you so much. When we moved in together, I figured there would come a time when one of us would move out, but now that the day has come it’s hitting me hard.”

Jade joins me, throwing her arm around my shoulder, “It’s going to be weird not being around my girls. We’ve done such a fucking great job raising Nia. I’m worried she’ll think I’m abandoning her.”

“Oh Jade,” I lean my head into my best friend’s, “Nia would never think that. She understands that this is a great opportunity for your career.”

“Once I get settled in, I’m having her over for a sleepover. That’ll be okay, right?”

“I can’t believe you’d even have to ask! I trust you with her life and she’d love nothing more than to have a fun sleepover at Auntie’s house. Especially since you’d probably spend the night eating all the junk food you could stomach and then sleeping in until noon.”