♧ 6. Ready? ♧

Start from the beginning

But in the morning, Chay noticed that Kim did everything he could to not look Chay in the eyes and left as fast as he could. It would be one thing if Kim tried everything not to make eye contact with Porsche because of the way he found them, but Chay? What did Chay do?

He gets back into his apartment, takes an apple from the kitchen, and plops down on the sofa, taking out the phone from his jeans. Should he call Kim? Just to be sure, Kim will come today. Yes, it's a good idea to confirm. He puts one of his hands on the wound that Kim had taken care of so well. He should ask Kim to redo his bandages. If Kim does it—it's going to be way better than if Chay does it himself. It's better for his wound. Definitely.

So, after pondering around for a little while, whether to call Kim or not, Chay finally does it.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

Flour and chocolate are everywhere, just the moment Kim's phone rings. He just put the cookies into the oven and for a moment he gets scared that he accidentally put his phone into the oven as well because he can't seem to find it, but then he finally spots it behind the jar of honey, at the edge of the kitchen counter. Quickly, he washes off his hands and dries them up before he reaches for his phone and nearly drops it again when he sees P'Chay on the screen.

P'Chay.

P'Chay is calling him. Why? Does he want to cancel the training today? Kim pouts, he would understand—p'Chay's wound needs to heal, but at the same time, Kim is really excited to see p'Chay again. And what about the cookies? They are the best when they are fresh. But maybe p'Chay isn't even calling because of that. Don't overthink, Kim! Don't overthink!

So, Kim takes a deep breath and answers the phone, "Phi..."

"Hey, big boy," the voice on the other side of the line sounds nervous. But why would p'Chay be nervous?

"I'm just calling to ask if you are still coming in the afternoon. You left without talking to me much in the morning, so I wasn't sure if everything was okay, if... you were okay..."

Kim hops up on the kitchen counter and starts swinging his legs, "uhmm... I am coming, of course I am, p'Chay. Actually, I have something for you," Kim giggles, leaning down a little to have a good look at the cookies baking inside of the oven.

"For me?"

Kim nibbles on his bottom lip, "uhmm, I hope that you will like it."

"There's nothing I won't like from you, big boy."

The kitchen is suddenly too hot. Kim can physically feel his cheeks getting red. He hides his face into his hands as if p'Chay is right here watching him.

But then, remembering the wound, Kim sits upright and asks, "how's your wound, phi? Are you sure that you'll be able to train me today?"

"I will. I want to. But I think the wound would be better if you could redress it... what do you say?"

P'Chay is right—it would be good to redress the wound so that it won't get infected. Even though, hmm... p'Chay should know how to do it himself, but it's okay, Kim is more than happy to help.

"Yes, p'Chay, I'll help you redress it."

"Thank you... Kim...?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? If you need to talk or anything... I'm here."

Is Kim okay? No, he doesn't think he is. He is just trying not to think about what happened, hoping that if he doesn't think about it, it will eventually fade away. But he knows that's not how it works. He knows that he is just running away from unavoidable. He will have to face it head-on and accept what he has done. Accept that he had taken a life. No matter how rotten but still a life. Accept that, in fact, he is no different from his mafia family.