For a while, I simply stand there and let the scalding heat pour over my aching muscles from that rock hard jail bed.

When I finally get out of the steamy bathroom in a plush white robe, I peek at my phone's lock screen. Sure enough, Damien's angry messages and missed calls are already pouring in.

I let out a shaky exhale, pocketing my phone for now. There will be plenty of time to stress over dealing with that later.

I cinch the robe tighter and make my way to the kitchen, to get something besides mush to eat.

As I get closer, the distinct sound of voices drifts towards me. I halt mid-stride, straining to make out the low, masculine rumbles that are so clearly Rome and... Damien? I forgot he gets notifications when the gate code is tried.

My breath catches in my throat as I start creeping forward again, drawn like a moth to a flame. When I finally inch around the corner and find them slouched comfortably on the sectional...with Damien at the center.

Rome spots me first, eyes narrowing slightly as he nods in acknowledgement. But Damien is already on his feet, his entire demeanor shifting. The air in the room seems to grow heavier.

"Catherine..." Damien rumbles, the weight of a thousand unspoken things in that one word. His eyes track over me - surely able to read every ounce of my embarrassment.

I open my mouth, a thousand apologies and excuses crashing together in gibberish on my tongue. But before I can force out a single syllable, Damien is closing the distance between us.

Bracing myself for an outburst of anger, I instinctively step back as he looms over me. But then Damien's hands are curling around my arms, pulling me against him, his arms wrapping around me.

I stand there frozen. Until finally, the tears come- hot, stinging, and involuntary. "I...I'm so sorry" I croak out. "...I would have told you, just..."

"Shh, shh..." His voice is softer than I've ever known it to be - low and soothing against the crown of my head. "It's okay."

Those simple words are enough to rip open the floodgates even further, my tears quickly soaking the front of his shirt.

"You have to know, I never wanted to keep her from you," I sob, hardly aware of the words tumbling from my lips anymore. "I was afraid...you would leave me."

Damien's lips feather across my hairline, his palms moving up and down my back in soothing circles. "I would never leave you, Cat."

He draws back slightly, just enough to capture my chin and tilt my face up to meet his gaze. "And I swear to you right now, I won't let that sadistic fuck get away with what he did to your little girl." The promise in his voice gives me goosebumps.

"We're gonna find her and from now on, we're gonna tell each other the truth. About everything." His thumb brushes across my cheek, wiping the tears away.

I can only nod numbly, Damien leans in to seal his promise with a heated kiss. After I finally get my hysterics under control, Damien cups my face in those big, rough hands of his and locks eyes with me.

"We can't stick around here much longer - too risky. We're heading back to Rome's."

I nod obediently, Damien drops a kiss on my forehead before pulling back slightly. "I'll get all my people on this. Anyone in this city who owes me favors is gonna be put to work finding your kid."

Another nod. And he's off to start barking orders into his phone, that unstoppable aura of power radiating off him. I just watch for a minute before snapping into action myself.