Chapter thirty five:Too late

Start from the beginning

"Come on, this is the most glorious spot on this entire estate, sit with me," Tara teases with a grin while dramatically draping herself over the bench.

"I would, but the glorious spot seems to be occupied," I say softly, a playful edge to my voice. She throws her head back with laughter while stretching out her legs across it, her bright purple dress matching the beauty of the garden.

"Tis' true, I guess your royalness is going to have to go find somewhere else to sit."

A small smile blooms on my face— for what feels like the first time in forever, "Well I'm glad you're comfortable, even though it's not your birthday."

"You thought I would give up my favorite spot just because you're seventeen today?" She scoffs with a smile, "never."

A branch cracks from behind me and I immediately flip around in fear, my heart leaping into my throat. A small bunny jumps out of the bush, sniffing the ground as I let out a shaky breath of pure relief.

He's not here. He's not going to get me.

"Ara?"

"Hm?" I turn back towards her and see that she is now sitting up with worry marks lining her face.

"Can we talk? Like actually talk," her blue eyes suddenly gloss over. "It would make sense you're having a hard time— after everything that's happened. But I'm worried about you. You don't look the same. You haven't looked the same since the party— last year."

She's seen the letters he's left me. She's seen the pictures and flowers and threats. She saw what he's capable of— what he did to my Grandma.

I don't know how I would look the same. I don't know if I'll ever look the same.

"Tara— can we not?"

"Please, talk to me Ara. I don't know how to help you. And I'm worried no one is going to be able to help you," tears begin falling as her voice cracks, and I realize just how much she's hurting.

"Just please," she whispers.

"I'm sad Tara," I say quietly, "I'm so sad."

I don't admit to her that there is a part of me that wishes Dominik would just finally end it.

"Come here," she says sadly, reaching out an arm. I immediately fall within her arms as she holds me tightly, "You know I will always be here for you Ara. You'll feel better one day."

꧁꧂

The memories flood my mind as my trembling hands throw open the garden doors, and for the first time in almost two years, I step into what used to be my sanctuary.

The garden.

My chest clenches as I rush down the pathway, and before I kn0w it, I make it to the bench that holds countless memories, good— and bad.

My hand wraps around the rose as I rip it off the bench, ignoring the way the ruthless thorns slice open the soft skin of my palm. I harshly crumple the rose, watching as the crimson petals drift to the floor, along with small drops of blood.

The flowers in this garden probably don't even know what it would be like to be nourished with water rather than blood.

The crushed rose falls away from me after a minute as I take ragged breaths, my senses slowly coming back to me.

I am in the garden.

I quickly take a step forward, needing to go back inside as tears sting the back of my eyes and the world comes crashing down upon me. I am about to take another, when I suddenly feel a gloved hand wrap around my forearm, harshly tugging me backwards.