Chapter 39

Skylar scrambled back up to her feet, and she hurriedly lifted her sleeves up to her elbow and turned her hands. She was right. It was as though she had been reborn and except for the remnants she had received from the very recent battle, all of the scars and gashes she had received from her nightmares had disappeared. Skylar sighed. She was definitely alright now.

Skylar turned towards the door, and she turned the lock open. The corridor was drunk in darkness and she turned to her right and ran down along the corridor. Her eyes fell on Ed, who was standing by the side of the door. Her jacket and her cotton scarf were in his hands. Skylar saw that he was typing something rapidly on his phone, and he had not seen her. She turned her head to the side and she gasped.

"Dad!!" she exclaimed. She hurried to the place where her father had been lying and turned around her. He was not there anymore.

"Sky," Ed saw her searching for her father and he hurried towards her. Skylar rounded on him.

"Where's dad Eddie?" Skylar asked as she saw her eyes go back to clouding with tears once more. Ed thumbed down a tear that was rooted down from her face and she pulled her nose up.

"Once you have gone inside to complete everything," he said, waving his hand behind him, to indicate everything that had happened since the start of the battle. Skylar did not break eye contact with him. Ed sighed and continued. "I called Jake and explained everything in short to him," he said. "And Jake came here, just a few minutes ago to be honest, and he took your dad to the hospital." Skylar's eyes got large in fear.

"Why did you do that?" she asked. Ed was taken aback. He looked surprised at her. His eyebrows were raised up in surprise.

"Because er," he thought. "Because that was what that should be done." he said, tilting his head to the side.

"No no Eddie," Skylar said, pulling her sleeve down along her face. "What about the police?" she asked. "Wouldn't that be a problem?" she asked in a very small voice. Ed sighed, and he touched the side of her face.

"Darling," he said. "Don't worry about that. I have it all covered and Jake knew someone from the hospital and they would not take the case there." he said but Skylar did not look convinced. "That person who Jake knew was some higher person in the hospital and even if the police knew about it, we can't hide for longer Sky." he said. Skylar nodded. She knew that what he was saying was right. "If they ask about what happened to your dad," Ed started once more. "Tell them that he was killed and the murderer had run off after he had seen what he had done." Ed said. Skylar looked up at him.

"But that is not the truth Eddie." she said slowly, and Ed looked at his sneakers as though he was ashamed of himself.

"I know darling," he said in a barely audible whisper. Skylar waited. "But we don't have any other better options, do we?"he asked as Skylar nodded slowly.

"Alright Eddie," she said. "I'll do whatever you say." she whispered and sighed. Her tears were rooting down her face and Ed patted her on her shoulder.

"I will never leave you, Sky." he said. Skylar looked up at him. She waited. "I love you the most and whatever happens, I will always find a way to make you stay with me." he raised his eyes and looked up at her. "I promise." he whispered, taking Skylar's face in both of his hands. Skylar felt her emotions rise up in her throat. She leaned her forehead over Ed's and they remained reliving in the moment as tears rooted down along Skylar's face.

"Thank you for everything, Eddie." she whispered but Ed shook his head no.

"Don't, darling." he said. "Don't thank me and make me feel uncomfortable." he whispered, closing his eyes tight. Skylar chuckled but nodded agreeing with him.